• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new GPU, deciding between the GTX 570 and GTX 580.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zitnik

Hey everyone,

I just built my new PC and am deciding on a GPU to get. I was originally going to wait and get a GTX 590, but I don't need that as I don't use multiple monitors or anything like that. Every game I play I run at 1680x1050, not higher. That resolution is perfectly fine for me. The thing is, I want to be able to set all graphical settings in games to the max. This also goes for Battlefield 3 when it comes out. Now, I never turn on Anti-Aliasing or anything like that because I really don't notice much of a difference with it on or off to where I need it on. I just like my graphical settings maxed (textures, particles, motion blur, HDR, etc.) Thing is, I can order the 570 GTX right now or I can wait till the weekend when I get my next paycheck and get the 580. With my resolution and those settings I listed, would the 570 be a good route? Also, as I said I want to max the graphical settings on BF3, too.

Thanks for the help :D

dude you can gobble any game with a 570 at 1680x1050 res, you might wanna think of upgrading the moniter if you're willing to dish out for a 570

dude you can gobble any game with a 570 at 1680x1050 res, you might wanna think of upgrading the moniter if you're willing to dish out for a 570

Sweet, and I just got this monitor. It is a 22" Acer. It works fine for me, as I just came off of a 17" Acer.

Just got the EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked. After reading some reviews on it the Superclocked GTX 570 is about equal to a regular 580 in terms of performance. Some features on the Superclocked are even higher than the 580's like the Core Clock and Shader Clock, while the Memory Clock remains a bit slower. Overall very happy with this purchase :attn:

:welcome: to OCForums!

The GTX570 is a good purchase, however the GTX570 SC doesn't beat the GTX580. The GTX580 has more shader processors, raster operators, texture units, memory bus width, and amount of memory. So, even if the GTX580 is clocked lower, it will outperform the GTX570.

Thanks for the video. Very informative.

and thanks MattNo5ss, I didn't think the 570 SC could outperform the 580, but I figured I may see results close to that of the 580, as in maybe a 2-5 FPS less? I figured that since I don't play at ultra-high resolutions and turn on AA or anything like that the 570 would be perfect for me. If I can pull 30FPS on Battlefield 3 with 1680x1050 and all of the standard graphical settings like textures, shaders, particles and such to very high I am happy. The fancy things like AA don't really appeal to me as I just can't tell much of a difference between AA and no AA.

The GTX 570 is a very good card. I have a stock Zotac 570, a 1680x1050 monitor too, and in Battlefield Bad Company 2, i get between 80 and 120 FPS with all maxed out.

I think 570s are pretty decent. I bought mine because I didnt know the difference between the 580 and 570 at the time.. If I could do it over I would probably go with the 580.. I was able to trade some spare hardware I had kicking around for my secoond 570, 2 are definately better then one :thup:

Hey, I also wasn't sure on what video card to buy to run Battlefield 3 at max settings, and someone recommended me the GTX 460, do you think it will do the job?

Last edited:
I would recommend an EVGA GTX 570 reference card. If Battlefield 3 gives you any trouble at that resolution (I don't think it will), you can always sli the 570's for only $180 more than 1 580 (after MIR's), assuming your mobo supports sli.

I would recommend an EVGA GTX 570 reference card. If Battlefield 3 gives you any trouble at that resolution (I don't think it will), you can always sli the 570's for only $180 more than 1 580 (after MIR's), assuming your mobo supports sli.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully it doesn't give me any issues, I never turn on Anti-Aliasing or go above 1680x1050 res. As long as I can max out just the graphical settings like textures and that stuff I will be happy. I ordered my GPU yesterday and it should be here tomorrow, I got the EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked.

Was just thinking the same thing, run it until you start having problems running the res and settings you want then add another. By that time the price will likely be down anyway.

The clocks doesn't matter as much, as long as its on par. The lower clocked performance is fixed by the more tech inside a 580. So... while the 570 may be faster, the 580 will outperform even though its clocked lower. Why?

Simply because in the real world, the human eye will not notice anything faster then 60 frames per second, and the extra processors will be devoted to the graphics.

"Superclocked" video cards aren't necessarily different from stock unless they are non reference designs with superior VRM. Usually a superclocked card is just a regular card that is factory overclocked. Video cards are very easy to overclock at home.

The 570 (even a 560Ti) will run pretty much anything you could possibly want at a good framerate at 1050 resolution.

The thing that will really eat into your performance is AA and AF. If you never use those, and play at a relatively low res, and have only 1 monitor, you'll likely be fine on a 570 for a year or two for sure. Definitely 100% cool for BF3. Even metro 2033 will run very nicely if you just override in drivers to turn off AA and AF.

You can get more juice out of your video card when you get it using either (you said EVGA right?) the EVGA tuning utility, Rivatuner, or the Ntune tuning utility. Generally you are completely safe to try for whatever overclock you want without altering voltage. You should be able to squeeze a few extra Mhz out of the card. I run my 780Mhz GTX580 at 940Mhz. Makes a difference.

Back