• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 9600GT how far can i push it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dt_Freak1

Registered
until i have the cash to buy my new video card for my pc im running a Galaxy 9600GT with 512mb of DDR3 memory. right now im running it at 706mhz vs the stock setting of 675mhz. how far do you all think i can push my card to without it failing. i dont want to burn it up. im using galaxy's extreme tuner hd program to overclock it and thus far i see no adverse effects from running it at 706mhz and my win 7 perf went up for gaming from 6.8 to 6.9 which is a happy and unexpected side effect of the overclock. ive cranked the fan speed up to full to counter any extra heat invented buy clocking it higher and i airdust my pc every week.

Overclocking won't hurt the card unless if there is a lot of heat in excess of 80c. If you can keep the card cool, then push it until it isn't stable. Since you don't have voltage control the overclock won't go too far but I think you could manage 730mhz, maybe 750mhz if you are lucky. Just keep increasing the clock speed till it starts to crash.

"My personal" method is to keep the card cool, and keep pushing until I get artifacts under load. You should be able to get to 750 without a problem.

thanks guys! right now at 706mhz it idles around 42 degrees celcius but i have yet to put it under load and monitor it while pushing it. would cod 4 modern warfare be graphics intensive enough to really stress it? if so ill try to load cod 4 and have hwmonitor open while running cod 4.

couldnt i see how far the graphics card heated up in hwmonitor if i left it running in the background while playing cod 4.

Thats fine, and right where I would expect that card to be...its an nvidia, not amd gpu... LOL!

What program do you use to OC the 9600/9800 series? Been thinking of pushing my 9800GTX a lil while I wait for my 6870.

my 9600GT is a galaxy, i googled galaxy's website and got their program "extreme tuner HD." it seems to work just fine for overclocking my card. cant control the voltage to the card, however i can override the stock fan speed and also run up the clock speed and the shader processor frequency. ive been pounding on cod modern warfare all night tonight with it overclocked to 706mhz at present without a hiccup up from the 675mhz it was. im still gonna push further. my next card is either gonna be an evga 560ti superclocked or evga 570 gtx. i was on the evga website today and they have a b stock 570 for around $270. which to be perfectly honest is just a hair above the 560ti. im all over the spectrum with games but im brand loyal to nvidia and since im already using a 9600gt id rather stick with nvidia and not have to reformat my system to switch to ati which i dislike alot. my games range from way old late 90s fps games like quake and UT and doom all the way up to far cry 2, cod 4, gears of war, oblivion, and also soon to own a copy of quake 4 for pc. my pc beasts on gears and oblivion and cod 4 at present with a slight hesitation on far cry 2. i know the 560ti superclocked would probably more then work for me at my current resolution, but i figure the 570 might give me a bit more future proofing with its higher onboard memory then the 560ti. would anybody on here recommend against a bstock video card from evga?

Thanks for this thread.
I have a 9600GT myself on a system and I was wondering does this card run in SLI?

They indeed do SLI, although depending on how hard and how much it will cost to grab a second it is probably recommended to go with a single, more powerful and current generation GPU.

They indeed do SLI, although depending on how hard and how much it will cost to grab a second it is probably recommended to go with a single, more powerful and current generation GPU.

Yes I will have to see, I saw a used one for $35 so just might want to try it and OC it because it's would be my first time to OC.

i think im selling my 9600GT to my older brother for his quad with 6 gigs of ram so he can run his flight sims on it easier

Back