• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good watercooling temp probe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

all420

Registered
I tried to make my own watercooling temp probe using the sensors off my Digidoc 5. I took a "T", ran the hose to the part of the tee that lets water pass straight through. Then, I hooked up one of the bulb-like probes to the piece that runs perpendicular to the flow. I placed it in just far enough so it would touch the current, but not so much that it would restrict the flow. I recently heard from someone that this system does not accuratly measure the tempureature because it only reads the tempurature "on the outside". Is this true? Should I scrap my probes in favor of a different design? Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like your's would work just fine, as long as the probe isn't touching the sidewall of the T.

I made my own and it works well. I also bought an Inside/outside thermometer and placed the temp probe from that in my reservoir. I am getting a temp difference of 1*C between the two temps. To me that means that my temp probe works!
Heres a pic of mine:

I see there is no flow in the water...

Water is stuck there and thus there is no total equalization of temperature...

Dont you think it could be a bit unaccurate?

Thanks

If you can tell that the water is flowing, then you have too much air in there. :beer:

I use brass fittings instead of plastic. If you look at the 2 side by side you will see that the plastic fittings have a smaller ID then the brass ones. Because of the weaker material the side walls are thicker so it impedes flow just a little. Metel quickly becomes the same temperature as that of the water flowing through it so what I do is take a comp-u-nurse probe (or anything simmilar) and tape it onto one of the metel fittings. Next put a little insolation over it so the air temp has no influance. This poves to be very accurate for me and lets me check temp easily in many places. Example do you want to know the differance in temp between the in/out of the waterblock, rad, pump with this method and a couple of probes it is easy to find out and also it is leakproof.

I mounted one of the ball thermocouples straight through the wall of my reservoir and sealed the hole off with some epoxy and plumbers goop. Been running it a couple days not without any problems and it appears to be giving me a pretty accurate temperature.

Back