• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new PCI-E card.....10 pin!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bfmctango57

I've got the evga 780i mobo and I'm in need of a video card. I acquired the comp from a friend. He removed the video card before he gave it to me. I asked him what card he bought for it and I think he said it was the nvidia 460.

He said that I can only get up to a 460GT because of the 10 pin pci-e slot. I didn't even know about that! :bang head:shrug:

I've been looking on newegg for a card. There are so many different variables with components like this. I found this one. I read the reviews, but I wanted the opinions of the experts within this awesome website.

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591

2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

My specs:
Intel C2D E6850 3.0Ghz 1333fsb
Silverstone 750w PSU
Corsair 4Gb

The numbers seem like a marketing ploy to suck out as much money from the consumer as possible.

Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Core Clock: 648MHz
Shader Clock: 1296MHz
Stream Processors: 288 Processor Cores

If the core clock, shader clock and stream processors are little higher on some than others, that's not going to be a gain worth paying the extra duckets for right?

What the heck is your friend talking about? You can get any GPU you want in that board.

THere are differences between the 460SE, 460 768MB, and 460 1GB. Best of those is the 1GB, most SP and memory.

Yeah you can get any card you want. With that CPU, if you decide to price-compare with ATI cards, look at 6850's or 6870's.

:confused::confused::confused:

Why would he be tellin' me porky pies!? :bang head:censored::mad:

He may be a lil --------> :screwy:

I'm going to hassle him tomorrow!! :thup::thup::thup:

Comp is up and running. HDD ended up being bad. Friend bought a new 2TB and gave me his 1.5TB fo free!! :thup::cool::beer:

Specs:

cooler master aluminum case
Intel C2D 3.0ghz 1333fsb
evga 780i sli mobo
750W psu
nvidia pci-e 7900
4 gigs corsair
sound blaster x-fi xtreme audio
seagate 1.5TB 7,200 HDD
win 7 ultimate x64

:comp::comp::comp:

SeanDude05:

Total score! One man's junk is another man's treasure! Fortunately for me, he lacked the patience to try and fix his pooter. I came up big time!! :thup::attn::D:clap:

What do you mean what car am I going for?

SeanDude05:

I'm kinda lost on what card to get. There are way too many choices out there to choose from. I'm going to get an nvidia video card fa sho! I was looking at the evga 550Ti from newegg for $150 if I remember correctly.

How come the older 460's are almost the same price as the newer cards?

SeanDude05:

I'm kinda lost on what card to get. There are way too many choices out there to choose from. I'm going to get an nvidia video card fa sho! I was looking at the evga 550Ti from newegg for $150 if I remember correctly.

How come the older 460's are almost the same price as the newer cards?
Honestly if the price difference isn't that much I'd look at a non-ti 560 instead of the 550 since the 560 is roughly 2x faster:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=647&card2=657

The 460's are priced that way partly due to supply & demand and partly because they're still powerhouses compared to the current-gen cards:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=632&card2=657

If you have classifieds access you can grab a MSI Cyclone 460gtx 1gb for a pretty killer price right now (less than you'd pay for that 550ti).

grumperfish:

I'm looking in to what video card to get and from where too. Your information will help me with my decision.

The numbers are overwhelming. One card has a lower core clock, while another has a higher memory clock, and yet again, another card has more cores. A lot of the cards seem pretty close in performance. It will boil down to what I'm getting for the money.

In what order are the numbers important?

memory clock
core clock
processing cores
# of bits.....ie 256bit.....128bit etc...

memory - I will at least get a 1G

More cores will give you better performance.
Clocks dont matter much as those can be changed.
And clocks vary by gpu type.

I doubt you will be dissapointed by any modern card. i.e. 550Ti, 560, 560Ti or even a 460.

onefstsnake:

Other than the numbers, they are pretty much the same right? One may have slightly higher or lower numbers, but I couldn't go wrong with any of them?

:shrug::bang head:confused:

Well for Nvidia and ATI the higher the number the better the card is.
For example: a 560 is better than a 550, and a 580 is better than a 560.
The first number is the generation of card. i.e. 4XX series or 5XX series.
So a 560 is basicly and updated 460 etc.

The more cores the better performance, just like cpu's.
Higher clock speeds are also better, but not better than more cores for the most part. Just like cpu's again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_500_Series

grumperfish:

I'm looking in to what video card to get and from where too. Your information will help me with my decision.

The numbers are overwhelming. One card has a lower core clock, while another has a higher memory clock, and yet again, another card has more cores. A lot of the cards seem pretty close in performance. It will boil down to what I'm getting for the money.

In what order are the numbers important?

memory clock
core clock
processing cores
# of bits.....ie 256bit.....128bit etc...

memory - I will at least get a 1G
As said above, the clocks don't matter as much as they differ between GPU types. The bit number makes some difference, as theoretically 512bit can be better for certain applications, but ATI cards are limited to 256bit and performance doesn't suffer so it's mostly irrelevant.

RAM amount is only important up to a point. 1GB is more than enough for single-monitor gaming, and 2GB won't really give any benefits beyond that.

When I look at cards I tend to use GPU review to compare them and look at the pixel/texture fillrates, and the numbers near the bottom (shader units, raster operators, & texture units). These differ in meaning and significance between ATI & NVidia, but looking at the fillrate numbers will give you a good idea of raw performance capabilities so it's a good way to judge cards between each other. Other than that you'd need to check card model reviews.

Well for Nvidia and ATI the higher the number the better the card is.
For example: a 560 is better than a 550, and a 580 is better than a 560.
The first number is the generation of card. i.e. 4XX series or 5XX series.
So a 560 is basicly and updated 460 etc.

That makes sense. The manufactures make it confusing on what GPU to buy in my opinion! :bang head:mad::confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_500_Series

As said above, the clocks don't matter as much as they differ between GPU types. The bit number makes some difference, as theoretically 512bit can be better for certain applications, but ATI cards are limited to 256bit and performance doesn't suffer so it's mostly irrelevant.

RAM amount is only important up to a point. 1GB is more than enough for single-monitor gaming, and 2GB won't really give any benefits beyond that.

When I look at cards I tend to use GPU review to compare them and look at the pixel/texture fillrates, and the numbers near the bottom (shader units, raster operators, & texture units). These differ in meaning and significance between ATI & NVidia, but looking at the fillrate numbers will give you a good idea of raw performance capabilities so it's a good way to judge cards between each other. Other than that you'd need to check card model reviews.

I will check it out and see what I can come up with. Before I make the choice, I will check back in and see what you guys gotta say about it.

Back