• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which of these AIO coolers is best for my case/cpu and why

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so i have a great socket 775 setup that i got off craigslist for 25$. now before anyone asks my main rig is a core i7 this is just a backup rig

now the rig came with a cooler master hyper T4 air cooler as well as a core 2 extreme QX6850 quad core CPU. at 100% load the temps for my cpu at both stock speeds as well as a 4.0GHz overclock reach 85 degrees celsius which to me is unacceptable. so im wondering which of these two cpu AIO coolers would be best in terms of keeping a QX6850 overclocked to 4.0-4.5GHz cool enough as so the cpu doesnt get super hot? below is all the infoy ou will need

info on my case: https://proclockers.com/reviews/computer-cases/cougar-mx310-chassis-review?nopaging=1

info on the 2 AIO coolers i can choose from

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103252

now i know the 240mm rad would be better but im not sure if it will fir in the top of my case as u can see from the pic below the top of the case only has one hole for the hoses and its offset to the side whereas the hoses on the rad are in the middle any info would be helpful on which cooler is best and why

Cougar MX310 (12).JPG

also if possible when giving me an answer please be as descriptive as u can be on what led to your decision thanks

lastly please dont tell me to save my money for a new rig this is a hobby for me for fun

edit the only option i can see for the 240mm rad would be installing int inside the case on the top instead of installing it on top of the case inside the fan shroud any input would be appreciated

Last edited:
I swear its like groundhog day... :rofl:

As far as the coolers, clearly the 2x120 will cool better than the 1x120. As far as fitment, you don't need the holes... how are you going to fit the block through that hole #1??? #2, it NEEDS to be mounted below the top/baffle. As far as IF it will fit, take a look at the dimensions of the AIOs and measure the space in your case to find out - or look at the case specs page and see what it can fit. Why note get a better air cooler??? There are plenty of reviews/roundups out showing how they fare.

Also, think about your end game. Just because you are uncomfortable with the temps, doens't mean the temps are detrimental. Also, what is that really going to give you? Your temps will be a few C cooler, but... in the end......... why for your purposes? TO tinker? Cool..... Get a Noctua NHD-15 and call it a day......... assuming it will fit in the case... again, loo k up specs and measure.

Those older chips run very hot no matter what. I don't know if you'll get close to the 4.0-4.5 Ghz range without massive of amounts of thermal and power inefficiency.

Back