• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding better CPU fans!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ryan82586

I've got a Dell Workstation Precision 470. Dual Xeon CPU, hyperthreaded @ 3.2 GHz (2 cores, 4 threads). 5 GB DDR2 RAM. Nvidia 8800 GT, Zalman Edition graphics card. 120 GB HDD. 0T0820 Motherboard.

I was interested in water cooling the machine, however it looks like it could be very tricky with this mobo, and probably not too cheap.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of finding a couple of CPU fans that would fit where my stock Dell CPU fans are, but would work more efficiently then the stock fans?

Thanks.

I've got a Dell Workstation Precision 470. Dual Xeon CPU, hyperthreaded @ 3.2 GHz (2 cores, 4 threads). 5 GB DDR2 RAM. Nvidia 8800 GT, Zalman Edition graphics card. 120 GB HDD. 0T0820 Motherboard.

I was interested in water cooling the machine, however it looks like it could be very tricky with this mobo, and probably not too cheap.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of finding a couple of CPU fans that would fit where my stock Dell CPU fans are, but would work more efficiently then the stock fans?

Thanks.

Check out yate loons ,they are cheap and good fans for the price..

Follow this guide to remove the CPU Shroud. Measure the fans in millimeters (60mm, 80mm, etc). Go to newegg or other etailor and find fans the same size, but with higher CFM ratings.

and adapters :) if your stuck with smaller whiney fans, and can somehow wedge in a big one adapted, it works pretty good. from Big to small, the "HUB" or dead center space of the fan is reduced when you can adapt. the side air of the fan gets channeled in the cone, and ends up with a more even flow. that can be handy depending on the cooler type.

I have a Precision 670 which uses nearly the same fan shrouds.
It's a bit tricky to use aftermarket fans in the chassis as by default the fans plug into a non-standard connector on the board which you'd need to bypass, and you're limited in what fans you use if you stick to the default shrouds.

Unless you already have a memory fan addon (which I'm assuming you do given the 5GB of RAM) you'll need to jumper the memory fan connector (FAN_MEM) (#26 under System Board Components). The 2 pins on each side (top & bottom pin in that diagram), not including the middle pin need be jumpered between each other to tell the BIOS that there is a memory fan. This only necessary if you decide to use an aftermarket fan for the memory. My 670 didn't come with a memory fan, and Dell doesn't sell them anymore, so to add 6GB I needed to do this. With the pins jumpered I rigged up a 120mm fan for the memory with zipties.

If you want to use aftermarket CPU fans like the yates mentioned, you'll need to hook the yellow-wire RPM sensor from the fan to the processor fan connectors (FAN_P0 & FAN_P1) (#20 and # 21 under System Board Components). You can run the fans from a controller or directly from the PSU, but you have to connect the yellow RPM sensor to the (FAR RIGHT pin on that diagram, or the lowest pin-only if you're looking at the motherboard from the side) motherboard pin or the OS won't boot. I rigged up a dual RPM sensor from a single fan and connected the yellow RPM wires to the lowest pin on those two connectors without issue.

The biggest issue you're going to have with finding fans that will work is that the shroud allows for 92mm (IIRC 38mm-thick) fans only [Edit: this might be different on the 470 so you'll need to measure it], so you'll need to find some that will fit. You can also ditch the shroud and hook some 120mm+ fans directly to the heatsinks, which is what I ended up doing.

Additionally, case airflow for these workstations was designed around using the stock Deltas and shrouds, so if you switch to a low-speed fan setup you risk baking your HDD's. I replaced the 92mm Deltas with some other fans and watched the hard drive temps slowly climb up to almost 50C before I shut it down. I ended up mounting a separate HDD cage on the bottom of the case and hooked up a fan to the front panel for active HDD cooling. You won't have this option as the case layout for the 470's is smaller than the 670's. Eventually I ditched the system as it was overall inefficient and difficult to work with, but if you don't have that option you'll need to experiment and see what works (just keep an eye on temperatures).

A good source for fans will be SVC, sidewinder, Jab-Tech, or Performance-PCs, but keep in mind the limitations of swapping the fans as I listed above.

Follow this guide to remove the CPU Shroud. Measure the fans in millimeters (60mm, 80mm, etc). Go to newegg or other etailor and find fans the same size, but with higher CFM ratings.
The biggest issue he'll find with this is that the 470's/670's already use high-CFM Delta fans [Edit: this is assuming that the 470 is similar to the 670 - the board layout is the same but the case layout is different, though I'd imagine 470's also use Delta fans of a similar size given the case dimensions], so it's going to be difficult finding something that will work better for airflow unless he can figure out how to mount adapters, and there's not really much space available unless you ditch the shrouds.

Last edited:
Yate loons and Gentle typhoons are out of stock in a lot of places, many users on OC forums have turned to marketplaces to try to find them... Yate loons are great for the price, good CFM's, good static pressure!

The biggest issue he'll find with this is that the 470's/670's already use high-CFM Delta fans [Edit: this is assuming that the 470 is similar to the 670 - the board layout is the same but the case layout is different, though I'd imagine 470's also use Delta fans of a similar size given the case dimensions], so it's going to be difficult finding something that will work better for airflow unless he can figure out how to mount adapters, and there's not really much space available unless you ditch the shrouds.

If the Dell illustration is correct, he can cut out the rear louvers to improve airflow.

Attachments

• before34.jpg
    before34.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 828
  • after34.jpg
    after34.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 668
I've got a Dell Workstation Precision 470.

Thanks.
The stock fans are Delta P2780 92mm x 92mm x 38mm PWM with a propitiatory 5 pin 4 wire connector that move 160 CFM each. There are a number of fans that will fit in the stock shrouds like Noise Blocker BlackSilentPro but it only moves 36 CFM. Put two of these in there and the system will shutdown on CPU over temperature in about 3 minutes at idle.

The Noctua NF-P12 which is one of the quietest fans around only moves about 54 CFM.

It is relatively easy, with the right tools, to remove the 4 pin connector that comes on most PWM fans and to re-pin the wires and adapt the 5 pin Dell power connector.

The stock fans are very efficient, just loud at 100% CPU utilization.

Back