• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling an SR-2 System- New to Water Cooling, Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elanius

What I'm Cooling
Case: TH10
Mobo: SR-2
CPU: 2 Xeon X560s
RAM: Corsair Memory Dominator GT 12 GB (3 x 4GB) Memory Kit for Intel Core i7 12 Triple Channel Kit
GPU: TriSLI GeForce GTX 580
PSU: Silverstrider 1200W Better minds than mine say it'll do!
HD: Seagate Constellation 1TB (Two)
LG WH12LS30K 12x Blu-Ray Burner

Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 1366
Watercool HEATKILLER GPU-X³ GTX 570 / 580 Hole Edition
XSPC RX360 Radiator (Version 2) (1 for each CPU, 1 for the three GPUs)
Swiftech MCP35X-Res (1 for each CPU, 1 for the GPUs)
Tygon 3603 Tubing
Whatever fittings I'll need.
Distilled water treated with Wetter Water

Newbie to overclocking and water cooling, but this is what I've come up with in my research over the last week. Assuming nothing is wrong with what I've listed for my cooling methods, I have two questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.

1) Gormless question to someone who knows their stuff, I'm sure, but do I need to get fans for the case as well as the waterblocks? I would guess I do, (how else do the air foils on the RAM work?) but I have no idea how many I should go for, especially given the enormity of the case.

2) Is it wise to run all three GPU waterblocks on one pump and radiator? Won't the cooling power of the system be greatly diminished toward the end of the loop (ie, GPU three). That said, by all accounts I have read so far (two!) even this mammoth case can't hold more than four radiators of the dimension I'm discussing, so... uh...

...help? >_>

Last edited:
I would shoot torin a message on these forums, I know he has an SR-2 setup that is watercooled, he may be able to give you some tips, although I'm only aware of his being on a benching station.

Will do, but I was also looking at a more general question about if it's wise to cool three of those GeForce 580s with one loop, and about how many fans a system will need if its CPU(s) and GPUs are water cooled?

3 580's on a 120x3? Possibly. The GPUs don't need very low water DT temps, as long as they are rockin in the 70's your fine. You might need to run 1800-2000 RPM fans to keep temps in check. To be sure, Skinnelabs.com. You can look up rad tests, you should use 800 watts as the heatload (unless your overclocking) and go with a 15C DT temp.

If your pushing the cards you need to pay attention to the VRM temps.

Skinneelabs.com did a big GTX 480 roundup, you should read it. Some blocks don't keep the VRMs cool.

And umm, who ever suggested you use water wetter, that is so 1999. Don't use it.

For the price you're going to pay for those heatkiller cpu blocks, you could be rocking ek supreme hf that have better temps.

Back