• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8GB RAM - Win7 x86 vs x64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jzenso

Registered
Hi guys,
I have i5/p7p55d pro mobo/8gb installed, My question is which win7 x86 or x64 is better to utilize all my RAM? I am not a gamer if anything I use photoshop 80% of the time on my computer aside from surfing the web etc.

The only performance difference between Windows 32-Bit and Windows 64-Bit is that Windows 32-Bit cannot use more than 4GB of RAM. However, in 2011, most programs did not use more than 4GB of RAM. Professional graphics machines and folding machines (for example) benefitted from more RAM but the vast majority of Windows users did not - other than if they put their machines to sleep (rather than turning them off), in which case there would be benefits to having more RAM available.

Although Windows 32-Bit is compatible with more older hardware when compared to Windows 64-Bit and Windows 32-Bit generally has less problem issues when compared to Windows 64-Bit, in your case of using Photoshop heavily - 64-Bit is clearly the way to go.

Unless you use a lot of older hardware like tablets and older scanners which can be trouble to get to work. But photoshop does like memory and If you have 8gb why not use it.

Thanks for the input fellas, I do have a few more questions hoping you will chime in on with some input.
I assume PS-CS5 x64 is what I should install?
will photoshop plugins I currently use that are not x64 work properly in cs5-x64?

Some plugins are 32-bit only, so they will not work with 64-bit versions of Photoshop. Consult individual plug-in web sites to see their situation with 64-bit.

most of them do not come in x64 hmmmm....
If I was to load cs5 x86 on win7 x64 would that even have any improvement?
rather than running it on win 7 x86?

You can run the x86 photoshop within a 64bit windows. Would you benefit in photoshop specifically compared to x64 on x86 windows? Hard to say.... would you benefit on overall system performance using the 64bit windows? For sure.

If you work with large data sets, going from x86 to x64 will result in a huge performance gain.

Last edited:
I believe you can install 32 and 64 bit apps from CS4 and 5 (as the same install), so maybe do that to cya. This way you have the option of running the 32bit PS plugins if they don't work in 64bit photoshop.

I believe you can install 32 and 64 bit apps from CS4 and 5 (as the same install), so maybe do that to cya. This way you have the option of running the 32bit PS plugins if they don't work in 64bit photoshop.
Yes when you instal photosahop on 64 bit u can install both 32 and 64. I think it is an option to install just 64 bit. Therefore your plugins will work in 32 bit. Then you can use 32 for your plugins and 64 for general quicker performance.

If you have the ram, install 64-bit period. Otherwise its a waste of money and hardware to not to take advantage of its performance offerings.

Even if you run 64-bit, most apps are 32-bit and work perfectly fine. On my home PC's I only run 64-bit and have been since Vista beta. If using XP 64-bit, this has driver issues and for ease of use I wouldn't recommend it at all. At work I have plenty of issues installing specific programs or drives that try to look up the OS version and XP 64-bit typically is not on the list.

I second deathman on both accounts. Due to addressing issues, 32-bit OS'es (any OS) can't use 8Gb of RAM. XP-64 is a nightmare. I've had numerous driver issues and was forced to ditch it.

Are you talking about using Physical Address Extensions (PAE) as workarounds to make 32-Bit Windows work with more than 4GB?

My question is, if those workarounds are so buggy and problematic with driver and program conflicts... how can they really be blanket recommended for everyone? It's just simply not worth the headaches although on specific workstations where limited and compatible applications and drivers are installed, this can be done. But as soon as new stuff is added, the headaches begin again so this is definitely not for everyone...

With so much different stuff average user is connecting and installing, I concluded that PAE is limited to specific environments and users. There would have to be a real need for it to cancel out the fact that there will be more problems on average when using PAE. Over the lifetime of the machine, the sheer amount of time needed for experienced user, let alone a less knowledgeable one, doesn't make PAE attractive, in my humble opinion.

However, if you set a few things for a long-term machine environment that doesn't change much, sure, maybe in that case, but for always changing home use?

Even a full blown 64-Bit OS (unless you are putting your machine to sleep) I figured was not worth it for me until Windows 8 comes out at the earliest, so it's a matter of personal use, always coming back to the same question: If not for a professional graphics machine or for a folding machine, which program capable of frequently using more than 4GB of RAM do I use regularly to justify 64-Bit Windows? Not a single one. And there is no other advantage to 64-Bit, unless like I said, you are a user who puts his machine to sleep.

I just don't understand why you use the word "any" then. It is just a matter of using another addressing mode.

Some of the wide spread and bugged drivers have been fixed for a long time.

(Aloha and Hafa Adai from the Marianas, jzenso!)

The fact of the matter is that 64-bit computing is rapidly overtaking the entire market. Stable drivers are available for Win7-64 for all but the most archaic hardware. In the not-too-distant future, 32-bit will be relegated to the same status that 16-bit enjoys today. Not installing a 64-bit OS on a new machine is doing oneself a significant disservice.

As far as Photoshop is concerned, Pinky is correct. CS5 installs both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions side-by-side. You can run whichever version you wish to accommodate older plugins; both of them will be able to avail of >4GB RAM available in a 64-bit OS environment.

Back