• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Main Router: Smoothwall, Want to use WRT54GL for wireless; How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

So I have recently setup a Smoothwall router. I was using a Linksys WRT54GL with the latest Tomato firmware on it.

I would like to still use that Linksys to provide wireless access in the house but I'm not quite sure how to set it all up! I would greatly appreciate some insight in how to setup the WiFi router in my network. Thanks!

!%$@#

Finally I figured out my problem. It's probably networking 102 but since I never took Networking 101, I don't feel bad. :)

I think my problem was that I was trying to put the WAP on a different subnet than my Smoothwall

The smoothwall is 192.168.0.1 and I still had the WAP on 192.168.1.x

I changed it to 0.x and now I'm in business! :)

Yea a lot of people think that you can only use routers at the border of your network. A router is just another tool at your disposal to manipulate your network how you see fit. Putting the router on its own network with the sole purpose of catering to wireless clients is perfectly acceptable.

Brian

Disable the "router" portion of it so you don't get a double-NAT.

moz_21 brings up a good point. as long as you aren't trying to use the WAN port on the router, you shouldn't have a double NAT problem but you definitely want to disable DHCP on the router since running two dhcp services on the same network is a bad idea as you could end up with ip conflicts if the two dhcp services assign the same ip.

Multiple subnetting provides bigger headaches for your run of the mill home user than just setting it up on the same network and letting it roll. Multiple subnets are helpful for when you are running more than 250+ wired devices but as the home user almost never is... If you smoothwall is your DHCP server just configure the wireless to use it's DHCP.

This is just my opinion

J :cool:

Multiple subnetting provides bigger headaches for your run of the mill home user than just setting it up on the same network and letting it roll. Multiple subnets are helpful for when you are running more than 250+ wired devices but as the home user almost never is... If you smoothwall is your DHCP server just configure the wireless to use it's DHCP.

This is just my opinion

J :cool:

That was my other problem. I had misunderstood the menu's in the Tomato wireless section. There's a DHCP setting there, which I thought it meant just DHCP for wireless users, but it was for both. Then I was running into problems with the Tomato router picking up some DHCP requests and then that wired PC not having the correct settings and therefore no internet access. But I just turned DHCP off and then set the Tomato to the same subnet and all was well. :)

Back