• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dedicating all ram to graphics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

castlo

Registered
Hey guys my gtx580 from galaxy says that it has 4gb of ram yet only 1.5 is dedicated to graphics and 2.5gb is shared with system, my rig has 16gb already so is there a way I can dedicate the other 2.5 on the card to graphics?

Cheers castlo

GTX580s come in either 1.5GB or 3GB models, no 4GB models. What card do you have exactly, got a link? Where does it say the GPU has 4GB of vRAM? Are you using a 32bit or 64bit OS?

I'm using a galaxy gtx580 and in the Nvidia panel in setting I think I'm not at home to find out and yes using a 64bit os (16gb ram not including vid ram) I'll find it tomorrow night for you but if it the case how can I do it?

I've never heard of a graphics card that can do that, you're probably going to have to post more information.

And Matt is right, GTX 580's pretty much universally come in 1.5 and 3.0 gb versions. I'd be really surprised to see a 4 gig card.

I am not reading this as a question of the card having 4 gigs of memory. I am reading the card has 1.5 gigs, and somewhere it is written that the card can utilize 2.5 gigs of system memory in addition (I have seen similar statements, but generally regarding laptops). As far as truth to it, or whether it is something that the user controls, or something automatically is done, I will leave to the pros.

if i can find it again i can post it in about 20 hours, so yeah anyway i wonder if i read it wrong, but i will find out for sure, but can anyone tell me how i can do that if its on the card?

I was also thinking that it may be what Majicplicity mention since the card link is indeed 1.5GB. System RAM for the GPU is slower than the native RAM; I wouldn't address system RAM towards graphics, especially with such a beast of a GPU. I would think you can address system RAM for graphics in the nVidia Control Panel, but I'm not positive since I haven't done it personally. Is there some reason you need more vRAM?

no there is litterally no need for more vRAM, gta 4 is at max setting (1920 x 1080) even v-sync is on at it is doing a solid average of 60fps.

i was just questioning that value as i was unsure of what it was there for on the card. i will find it again in the nvidia control panel and post up a pic of it for discussion :)

cant wait for battlefield 3, the new cod and driver san fransisco to come out :D

Yea, your card only has 1.5GB of RAM. Then the system shares 2.5GB RAM. There is no need to really have any more VRAM. The performance of VRAM will not really help much more than what it already is.

Ok sweet thank you, that clears that up, I won't need more Vram anyway the 580 is cranking just on stock clocks :) hehe thanks

What OS are you running? If it is 32bit I believe the way memory works if if you have 4GB of memory it will do 4GB (minus) how much memory your graphics has, which would give you 2.5GB of 'shared' memory.

im running 16gb or ram on the comp itself and its 64 bit man,

Back