• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ vertex 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madmike2

Anyone else having issues with these? I see that lots of people around the web have but not too many here. I thought i screwed up my Linux install but turns out my drive cacked out. Went to NCIX in scarborough, fought with them and got a straight swap. Went home and that was DOA. Now on number three and finished installing everything on it and praying nothing else goes wrong. Or i might snap.

This one identifies as OCZ Solid3 firmware 2.06 / 60 gig / 54 Gb capacity / 6.3 GB swap / 54 GB ext4 . Linux mint 11

I should have checked the other 2.

Did you originally buy a Vertex 3 or a Solid 3? If your drive is identified as a Solid 3 then NCIX might have exchanged you a serious downgrade.

I didn't have any issues with my Vertex 3 for the first three weeks after install, and it had firmware 2.06 at the time. Then I began getting the random BSOD that people complain about with these. After upgrading it to firmware 2.11 through OCZ Toolbox, I haven't had an issue since.

If OCZToolbox identifies your drive as a Solid 3, I think you got the wrong drive when you exchanged the bad Vertex 3. What does your BIOS identify the drive as? Both my BIOS and OCZToolbox identifies my drive as a Vertex 3.

Just ordered a Vertex 3 120GB for my HTPC. I'll be replacing a pair of Vertex 30GB that are in Raid 0. Crossing my fingers that I'll get a good one. The Newegg reviews of the Vertex 3 were much better than the Agility 3's.

After upgrading it to firmware 2.11 through OCZ Toolbox, I haven't had an issue since.

Everything I read about on the web confirms that. There were threads a mile long with complaints that just ended in Happy people, after 2.11.

There are just as many happy people as there are newly frustrated people.

do you have a link of any threads that continue the nightmare ?
i would like to read more about it, because of its speed ratings.

Last edited:
Yep. The V3 (actually the SF2xxx controller) is very choosy on what system it runs well on. AMD systems (890 chipset and below) have had the least problems which is my case, luckily. However the 990 chipset has seen a few problems lately. I'm just hoping that my V3 will like the Bulldozer upgrade I'm planning on.

wow, i would not want to be OCZ on these days. one person is having a load of issues, and bouncing around ideas, and refuses to do testing, and his error probably is nothing but a bad cable.
the support also seems to want to get them to test with the cmos cleared, and we all know what that means, they are trying to get the settings back to standard, so they can tell what is going on. Anyone who picked the fastest drive in the world, probably isnt running standard clocks :)
Add to that, just general people who might have a BSOD for other reasons, have not contolled thier power management, and just normal users who have normal problems , be it this drive or another one.

they also have a clue going with the way the new bioses are working, the settings being wrong.
Because they are asking people to update the bios. A good way to have a few minor incorrect settings when updating a bios, is to not default the bios after the update. to clear all the settings and remake them. Otherwise New settings items added to the array of settings, end up in the wrong "registers" (the more things change the more they stay the same).

So they try and assist people, and they end up with a few more things that can occur , that turn right around and make thing even worse possibly.
Even driver installing, a person would really need to go back into all the drivers that Should have changed, and see if they did, and are the correct version, in each place the driver changed.

everytime they try to help, thanks to all the other possiblities , and ways that users would do things, they add in another layer of possible issues.

Last edited:
Not just an OCZ problem. Corsair also have the same problem with their Force 3 series. I got a 120 GB Force 3 and have learned to accept that it'll randomly freeze on me. The faulty Sandforce 2281 controller is the problem.

We pay a premium for the privileged of being their QC guinea pigs.

I have 2 and havent noticed any issues thankfully. I do not know the firmware version...and havent upgraded.

i am still going through thier posts there, and didnt see this yet. . .
They are having strange Sata problem.
Intel sandy bridge releace held up because of sata issue.
9 of 10 of the people still having problems are using intel systems,
(which does not nessiarily mean sandy bridge )
the problem occurs with other SSD drive items not just OCZs
Things that make you go hmmmm.

Last edited:
Hi sorry for the late reply. Apparently this is what i originally purchased. I went to check that that is what i got the first time on my receipt. I did ask for a Vertex though but i was given this. So far this one has not died or BSOD'd that i have noticed anyway.

Hi sorry for the late reply. Apparently this is what i originally purchased. I went to check that that is what i got the first time on my receipt. I did ask for a Vertex though but i was given this. So far this one has not died or BSOD'd that i have noticed anyway.

Your original purchase was a Solid 3?

Back