• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Unable to install Windows 7 on W520 with OCZ Vertex 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darf2000

Registered
Hi,

I've just bought a new Lenovo W520 laptop. I separately bought a OCZ Vertex 3 120go SSD. When i'm trying to install Windows 7 professional 64bits. I get an error on the first reboot saying : Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. I've tried different Windows 7 Iso. But it still dosent work. Any Idea? The SSD and the BIOS both have the latest firmware.

Lenovo W520
Intel Core i7-2760QM 2.40GHz
12go ram
OCZ Vertex 3 120go SSD
OCZ Nocti mSata 60go
Nvidia Quadro 2000M

Last edited:
I've loaded a Professionnal 64bits .ISO from my college MSDNAA (Legal Windows) then burned it, tried to reburn it at lower speed both didn't worked. Loaded one from an other website, didn't worked neither. Tried downloading one from a torrent. Didn't worked out.

Can you change your SATA to run in AHCI mode? (If it isn't already)

Does it get to the part of the Windows install where you pick a drive, if so, did you install the AHCI driver and the SSD driver. If you have either of those.

How did you burn the ISO to the disk? Please be as detailed as possible.
Are you manually telling it to boot to the DVD drive?

There is a tool, "Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool" use it if you can.

Does it get to the part of the Windows install where you pick a drive, if so, did you install the AHCI driver and the SSD driver. If you have either of those.

Yes,

I insert the cd
Press the button for starting the cd
choosing language
accepting confidentiality and all
choosing drive
selecting the SSD drive
(no partition made or with a partition made both don't seem to work)
it goes all the way to the "The installation will restart your computer in 10 seconds

The computer restart and when it tries to start the newly installed windows 7 i get a black screen for maybe 5-10minutes then i get the error.

I've burn the ISO to a DVD-R with Infrarecorder Tried to burn it at full speed and 4x both installations failed.

I've just burned a drive manualy i'm gonna try it while loading the windows 7 usb/dvd tool.

Right now i am trying to install from the DVD with only 2go of RAM to be sure it's not that

Next steps curently are :
- Ending the current installation from the DVD with only 2 go of RAM
- Trying from the USB key made with the tool
- Waiting a week to get the lenovo recovery disks if all fail

EDIT:

When it reboot, I see the starting windows but no colors pop up then the error arrives.

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.
or
0xc00000e9
Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing or corrupt.

Last edited:
Maybe my ISO is broken.

I've tried multiples. The one from MSDNAA,

This one: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ the english professional 64bits. (when i download this one it only weight 2go instead of 3 and ask for drivers before starting the instalation because he loses the optical or usb drive)

and one from a torrent.

Any tip for a link for a know working windows 7 iso? Maybe that would help

Noticed too that when it fail, he only took 7.9go to make the install

Do you have both hard drives in the system? It sounds like it is booting to the HDD. What happens if you only leave in the SSD?

Do you have both hard drives in the system? It sounds like it is booting to the HDD. What happens if you only leave in the SSD?

Right now the only things in the computer are 2go of RAM, the dvd optical drive and the SSD

Hi,

The only drive in was the SSD and the USB bootable drive. I've tried with no partition made, partition made, the secure erase, without the secure erase. 3 different *.ISO of win7. I've finaly gave up, ordered the Lenovo recovery cd and installed successfully Windows 7 on a HDD and put the SSD second while waiting for the recovery cd. I've been able to use the SSD as a second drive for programs and storage. I've tried to install windows7 by giving the specific drivers for the chipset but it only made me unable to install on the SSD and yes it was the specific one from intel.

I don't have anymore ideas. If you have some i'll be glad to try it. I wish the Lenovo DVD arrive soon!

Thank you for your help/time!

There is a tool, "Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool" use it if you can.

I would highly suggest this. Way more reliable and faster to use a USB flash drive. Any empty 4gb flash drive will do. If you have a spare flash drive around of course. I do the same with when i use the ISO from MSDN

Hi!

Finaly after speaking with OCZ and not being able to install anything on the SSD and an awful support from Lenovo, I've tried IDE, SATA, Only 2go RAM, DVD, USB bootable, Safe Erase from OCZ, Normal erase from windows, 3 Different ISO, Drive test doing fine, Upgrading Bios and SSD firmware, i've came to the idea of the problem with the sandforce interface. I've checked online and multiple persons had problems with disks with sandforce. I've RMA the Vertex 3 to Newegg and bought a Crucial M4 (a Marvel SSD). At my first Windows 7 professional 64 bits attempt, everything worked perfectly. Thank you very much for you guys for your help!

Kinda I guess, but there are some succesful installation on W520 from other users online but i've never achieved to do so. The drive worked in my father T510 but never on mine. Marvel = less compatibility problems ;)

Back