• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Registry - Too Many Local Area Network Keys?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

When starting W7, I noticed it takes longer than what it used to for my machine to establish a network connection. Since the "Local Area Network" connection is designated as "Network 6" I thought it might be worthwhile to do some housekeeping and see what happened to Networks 1 through 5. I poked around the registry by searching on "Local Area Connection". What I found surprised the hell out of me. There are over a thousand keys similar to the one in the attached screen shot. This definitely does not seem correct. I checked a W7 machine I recently did a clean install on and it only has twenty or so entries.

Are all these keys needed? Can they all be deleted and let the machine recover itself back at "Network 1"?

Last time I did a clean install was in November 2009. For various reasons I am planning to eventually start over with a clean install but I will not be able to do that for another few months due to some significant work related time constraints. I also want to wait until I replace my high speed document scanner to one with drivers compatible with 64bit W7 but at almost $600 this also has to wait a while.

Attachments

• Registry.JPG
    Registry.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 453
Considering how quickly it can search through the registry, I don't think that is the issue. My VM (which has one NIC that never changes) has 4 entries. This is also a very clean install that is nothing but a testing bed for my work's programs.

How much longer is "longer"? Does it only do it on boot up or if you enable/disable it?

Going based on your other thread here, I would be inclined to say they are related. Slow access on the hard drive makes everything unresponsive. Verify that you have TRIM enabled, just as BigTerminator suggested. But, do not defrag.

Also, get ATTO and AS SSD, run them and post a screenshot here

Back