• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DR DEUCE

I am in the market for a new SSD and don't know which one to choose. I want a little 60-80gb. I was looking at the following.

OCZ Solid 3 60gb $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227728

OCZ Agility 3 60gb $105 -20MIR= $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227725
Heard there s some problems with this. I want my ssd to last a long time.

Intel 320 80gb $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167047

Yes its not the fastest but its larger and reliable. And expensive..

What would u guys do? It seems like the solid 3 is my best choice.

IMHO I wouldn't want the Agility 3 / Solid 3. They use the same nands as the Vertex 2. Only in ATTO will they beat the V2 but are pretty much the same in AS SSD, CDM or in real world usage. So with the Ag3/S3 what you are actually getting is a V2 with a SF2xxx controller.

Your mobo uses native Intel SATA3 ports which is the fastest you can get on the market now. Why waste it on the Ag3/S3? I would suggest the Intel 510, Crucial M4 or the V3. But be aware that Sandforce has a lot of compatibility issues cropping up now. That would mean the Ag3/S3/V3.

Edit: Or the Plextor M2S. Nice pricepoint.

Last edited:
Solid 3 is way faster for same price

It's faster only in sequential tests like ATTO.
Read more about SSD before you decide and check some topics with faulty SandForce SSD for example on OCZ forums.

Id still rather have a SF based drive. Seems FW is resolving any issues, or am I mistaking?

Seems FW is resolving any issues . .

If you go through the OCZ forum you will still find a lot of unhappy users who updated to FW2.11. Some were able to get back a working drive by back flashing to 2.09. It seems that each time a new FW solves a problem another new one crop up. OCZ is now blaming Intel/mobo manufacturers for not properly implementing SATA protocols resulting in their drives BSODing, freezing and stuttering. They've even said that any new FW may probably not solve the problems unless Intel/mobo manufacturers get their act together. I believe they are correct but that does not mean the consumer should foot the bill. Fortunately for me, it's the Intel users that are more seriously affected. I have tried FW 2.06, 2.08, 2.09 and 2.11 without any issues whatsoever. So, Intel users should think twice and do their homework before going for a Sandforce drive.

If you go through the OCZ forum you will still find a lot of unhappy users who updated to FW2.11. Some were able to get back a working drive by back flashing to 2.09. It seems that each time a new FW solves a problem another new one crop up. OCZ is now blaming Intel/mobo manufacturers for not properly implementing SATA protocols resulting in their drives BSODing, freezing and stuttering. They've even said that any new FW may probably not solve the problems unless Intel/mobo manufacturers get their act together. I believe they are correct but that does not mean the consumer should foot the bill. Fortunately for me, it's the Intel users that are more seriously affected. I have tried FW 2.06, 2.08, 2.09 and 2.11 without any issues whatsoever. So, Intel users should think twice and do their homework before going for a Sandforce drive.

The same thing is on the Crucial forums. But it doesn't necessarily mean it's an epidemic. Just that the risk is there and it's good that people are at least spreading the word.

(Between 2 OCZ drives and 4 Crucials...only 1 Crucial had issues, which was fixed with a firmware update.)

I've had Intel and Crucial and both have treated me vary well. I still keep my arms length away from SF based SSD. Even my work laptop has a SSD in it and that doesn't seem to be a SF based drive from what I can tell so far (just had 15min infront of it).

Now my G2's are older from Intel I never updated the firmware on them, and my Crucial's only had to update a single drive to the newer firmware. No plans to flash anything new to any of the drives myself. So if I was picking a new drive, Crucial is the way I'd go, get the M4.

Well I found a vertex 3 60gb for $135-15%-$20MIR= $95 in the end. couldn't pass it up.

The V3 is especially great as an OS drive. Windows uses compressible data while Sandforce's main strength is its compression-on-the-fly controller. If the V3 works on your system you will love it. Do let us know how it works out for you.

Your ATTO looks fine. Can't comment on CDM as I don't use that. But your AS SSD score is as good as it gets for a 60GB SSD. I have a 120GB V3 Max IOPS and my AS SSD score is 600+. Smaller sized SSDs are always slower due to having less NAND channels.

But the best thing about all this is that you can get the V3 working nicely even though you have an Intel system.

1 tip , use intel driver for any random tests. Both AS-SSD and CDM could be better.
Here is M4 64GB on "slow" AMD controller.

snglM4092.jpg

I am a happy owner of the M4 too :)

asssdbenchm4ct128m4ssd2.jpg

Back