• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a decent, 23-24" LCD monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Last edited:
Monitors are a hard topic to discuss via text on a forum. I bought the 24" samsung to replace a 42" LG 1080p as my primary gaming monitor one day and I am extremely pleased with the results. The colors are just incredibly vivid, the image is crisp, and it's BRIGHT. Better quality than my 42" LG, in a smaller package that I can sit closer to, takes less power, doesn't get hot as hell.

I almost bought this one from dell:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=224-8284

$900 27" ips panel. I had it in my cart and I was typing in my credit card info when I decided I would go check out walmart first. I'm glad I did.

Your monitor is the gateway to the computer. The fastest computer in the world is worthless without a nice monitor, keyboard, and mouse. But you gotta draw your own line in the sand between the best quality for the best price.

Nice man, thanks. A little personal experience goes a long way in my book. It can be pretty subjective like comparing audio gear, but still. :) Thanks for elaborating.

What sort of resolution or screen real estate are you looking for? What is your usage? Gaming?

Here's a recent discussion involving IPS monitors, I've heard under 8ms rating is what you want for gaming on these to avoid ghosting/blur:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685344

Here's why you want an IPS:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685129

Same price as what you are considering:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236122

thanks

people are all complaining of backlight bleed on that monitor you recommended

also that samsung looks decent

I dunno, would it be worth it to buy an IPS 23" or 24" monitor? I'm wondering if I should pay more for one for good quality. I don't know which though

Cool. Don't put too much stock in my opinion, I'm no monitor expert. I'm not sure what backlight bleed even is to be honest.

I'd probably go with Goat's suggestion given the price and his positive notes.

After doing some research I'm deciding between these two monitors, Dell U2311H vs Asus ML239H... hmmm...

Your monitor is the gateway to the computer. The fastest computer in the world is worthless without a nice monitor, keyboard, and mouse. But you gotta draw your own line in the sand between the best quality for the best price.

well put.

Before buying it is a good idea to check out Craigslist for ultrasharps as prices tend to be more reasonable on them then other used high quality monitors.

the 2007wfp can be had for $80 where I live and is a great monitor for that price but unfortunately it is only 1680x1050. The 2007fp, 4:3, can also be found cheap for what it is and they work very well next to a 24" 1920x1200 and also in portrait next to a 30".

For cheaper and lower quality e-ips screens, which is what you are looking at now it seems, the dell u2211h and 2311h can be found from $150-250 and are very good screens with good connectivity and adjustments which I would consider a step above the samsungs.

The best 24" is a u2410 which sometimes can be found for $250 but usually is closer to the $400 mark. It has everything you want on a high end monitor and uses a full ips screen not the cheaper e-ips.

well put.

Before buying it is a good idea to check out Craigslist for ultrasharps as prices tend to be more reasonable on them then other used high quality monitors.

the 2007wfp can be had for $80 where I live and is a great monitor for that price but unfortunately it is only 1680x1050. The 2007fp, 4:3, can also be found cheap for what it is and they work very well next to a 24" 1920x1200 and also in portrait next to a 30".

For cheaper and lower quality e-ips screens, which is what you are looking at now it seems, the dell u2211h and 2311h can be found from $150-250 and are very good screens with good connectivity and adjustments which I would consider a step above the samsungs.

The best 24" is a u2410 which sometimes can be found for $250 but usually is closer to the $400 mark. It has everything you want on a high end monitor and uses a full ips screen not the cheaper e-ips.

yeah but does the u2410 have the low response time that the U2311H has?

Back