• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between MVA and IPS Displays?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seriously this is going to make my head explode. Someone help me out here please!

IPS(in pane switching) will be when you want the best viewing angles, image quality, and color replication. Apple and a lot of NEC displays are IPS based and if you do any print media, you will want the accurate color replication that these displays can put out. Only real downside is the price and the response time is typically higher than that of a TN based panel(2ms type LCDs).

MVA(multidomain vertical alignment) is pretty much your middle of the road LCDs that give you 5-8ms response times(in general) and slightly worse color replication. IIRC Viewsonics are mainly MVA based LCDs.

Hope this helps.

*VA=
(+)better contrast(3x)
(+)typically smother anti-glare coating(better for text)
(-)worse response time
(-)gamma slightly varies depending on viewing angle
IPS=
(+)better response time
(-)worse contrast

The only big advantage of va panels over ips is contrast and therefore black levels. However they often have contrast shift and gamma shift problems in relation to viewing angle and panel uniformity which go a long way to negating this advantage when properly calibrated to reduce, not eliminate, this problem.

IPS has better colors, a better pixel layout, better panel uniformity, better viewing angles, can reach higher gambit in newer panels, and is far less prone to over driving which creates ghosting.

edit: this is ignoring e-ips as many of the advantages of ips are lessened in e-ips compared with other ips panel types which is a different discussion.

Last edited:
*VA=
(+)typically smother anti-glare coating(better for text)

I completely disagree on this point. The pixel structure of va panels is far worse for text then ips even with taking into account the crystallized coating on ips which is most noticeable when viewing the same color over large areas of the screen especially with white. Due to the design of va pixels diagonal lines of the three sub colors show up both within and outside the text which makes text fuzzier and less sharp. IPS on left PVA on right note the diagonal lines of color in the text on the right.

2672173433_071641aa3f_o.jpg

The sharpness of ips for text became very apparent for me when going from a pva dell 2407wfp-hc to an ips dell 3007wfp-hc which are both from the same manufacturer and released in the same product lineup around the same time making as close to an apples to apples comparison as possible.

Last edited:
Back