• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding proper AC power cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quartertwelve

Registered
Hey Everyone,

I feel dumb asking this, but I can't track down the proper information so I can confidently make the right purchase.

I have an old Compaq Presario that I keep running on the side for basic functions. Recently, I lost the AC power cable in a move and am trying to replace it. However, the system is so old that I don't know if current AC cables will support it or make it explode. I did a basic search on Amazon while matching the model number, but the resulting product isn't available nor does it provide specs on voltage, wattage, and amperage for the cable I should use. I tried looking this info up in the user manual, but couldn't find it there either.

Can someone help me out with this?

The desktop model is SR1230NX. All I'm trying to find is the right AC cable that will support it.

Thank you so much for any information you can provide.

Assuming it's a desktop. For an AC cable you only have positive, negative, and ground, so thankfully there's not a lot to get wrong (as opposed to a lot of DC adapters with specific voltage and amp ratings, barrel plug formats, etc). Any desktop computer that I can remember in over 20 years has used the kind of cable Nebulous linked. I would say if it has that shape of socket with the three vertical pins you should be good to go. When you try it just don't force anything (it might be a little stiff, but the shape and pins should match).

Edit: I also found this listing on the bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/176252850956 with a picture of the power supply on the back and it appears the be the standard cable. I further remember my Dad having a compaq around that time that used the standard cable. I think you're good to go!

Back