• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cute Free to Play Anime Style Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

The market is flooded with these games, the usual ad or cover for them has a Moe (Cute Anime Girl) as the prop for the ad, usually in a gesture to welcome you to visit the site catch your eye at least.

Here are a couple examples:
http://www.cosmicbreak.com/
http://prius.gpotato.com/
http://iris.gpotato.com/
http://grandfantasia.aeriagames.com/

and there are hundreds and hundreds of these examples all over the place, i personally have played all of the one's i listed and many many more, i find some to me more enjoyable than others, i am a 24 year old father, husband and one of the type of guys you find playing pool at the bar for money, looking at me you'd never think i would even touch a computer, much less play a chibi game.

Oddly enough as it may seem to other people i go alittle bit crazy of cute games, i even played Hello kitty online for awhile, yeah it didn't really fill the void for having an adventure, it was a lot of bright colors and way to much running around in the small spot, but really it isn't a bad game if you set a goal to do whatever, it doesn't matter what the name is, or what it is based on, Pokemon, Hello kitty, My little pony whatever else you think you might be to good for - I will sit here and be honest, i have had more fun on my little free anime style games than playing BFBC2, Aion, FFXI/FFXIV or anything that falls into the "Serious" suit, when you play a game long enough you realize the people around you become extremely uptight A-holes, for example, late last night in Aion i ran an instance with a group, the guy dies and starts to get pissed off at the group, why? Anytime i have died in a game iv'e never been so angry that i would start tossing foul language like a little school boy, many of the people in these types of game like Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV, Aion, lineage II etc have serious attitude issues when something doesn't go their way, come on, life isn't far outside of the game either, why are you all of a sudden complaining?

Another thing i like about those Free anime style MMOs is the the majority of them are actually women, verified whenever Ventrilo is introduced, yeah surround by boobs instead of sausage fest is a better change than you might expect, and not for the reasons you might expect, women and girl gamers, generally speaking tend to have a much more passive attitude about playing a game and it's refreshing to play along side of a gamer, male or female who actually doesn't scream and yell if they die, so far the majority of females and males i have played with that actually play the game and have laughs have been in Prius Online and Final Fantasy XIV, on the other hand Aion is by far the worst when it comes to complainers and whiners.

So the next time you or somebody thinks less than another person for playing a Free MMO, or even one that is anime, chibi or korean made, just keep in mind they go there to get away from judgmental people like (you) or them.

Role players make up a large pile of these community's as well, i personally am not into role playing nor do i even know what they do other than become more of there characters, but the Aion community, again, ran off over 350 people of the Ishalgen population (A large legion made specifically for casual players and Roleplayers) they existed between both races and they refused to take part in PvP, most of the time they were fighting in Anti-PvP area's to get away from the conflict, the other part of the community (The abyss lurkers and heavy hard core PVPers) had a problem with this when a mass majority of there race was standing in town playing with each other instead of fighting for control, this lead to rampant shouts in the the world chat day after day after day attacking these players and how they enjoyed the game.

What ended up happening is this legion decided on a free 2 play model game to be together on, slowly set by set these guys moved away from Aion, not all of them left, but it made a serious impact on the server population on every single server, i can't confirm or deny which game they had choosen since i was only a part of this particular legion for a short time, some fo them played Rohan, some went to Prius, as a matter of fact i remember many of them leaving to go back to Lineage II where they originally came from. The sheer animosity in the gamers world is so far to a point of ridiculousness that we can't even play together anymore without somebody degrading the other type of player.

For this reason i love my little chibi anime games, maybe they don't appeal to you visually, but i ask you, who are you trying to impress with your flashy graphics or by having a pixelated gun on your screen? I own several real rifles and i can tell you i will never play a game that will compare or replace having the gun itself, an anime character is something i can never own or have, and beyond that, i do own several First person shooter titles and they all feel the same with a new image, all of you Modern Warfare, Battle field or other FPS guys, give this a try.

Put your pride aside for at least a day, figure the game out and get into the arena and see how good you are with a cross hair no matter what style it comes in.
http://www.cosmicbreak.com/

Here is a video of how the "FPS" aspect looks and works in that game, and no, you don't have to spend a dime in the game to have some good guns and robots, they can be earned in just a week or 2 if you really want them.

If you can master ambidexterity while shooting, flying walking and dodging enemy's then your twitch is perfected.

This is one fo those games where, even if you lose, it was fun and everyone had a good time, in the end, everyone is rewarded for there effort, even a loser can get more money and exp than someone on the winning side if they put forth a strong effort.

Anyone else playing this sort of stuff? I only have dabbled in FPS really, but never got into more casual gaming and never found any attraction in anime stuff.

Anyone else playing this sort of stuff? I only have dabbled in FPS really, but never got into more casual gaming and never found any attraction in anime stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if a majority thought it was a waste of time, considering there are website registrations and downloads involved, i will admit about 4 or 5 years ago i would have touched them with a 10 foot pole, it's one of those things you have to try and you also have to have a willingness to set goals alot like the one's you currently play.

I gained an appreciation for Anime style art after i met my wife, when i first saw her draw it was simply amazing to sit there and watch the lines come together, a good example of what it is like is: Going to a friends house who is terrible at playing the piano, coming back the next day and they're playing a variant of your favorite song on it with ease, it all just comes together and then you start see'ing other peoples work and you understand what all went into it to make it look that good. Women, females and children are the most difficult anatomy to draw, women because of there bust, if you screw that up, you've thrown the whole image off, children because there proportions are not as fluent as an older individual you have to know what is supposed to be dwarfed, smaller and what isn't, i can't draw worth a flip, stick people maybe, but playing these games you also notice alot of work goes into cell shading, in most cases it is more difficult than a straight up 3-d game and lastly, 99% of the anime style games have hand drawn character.

This game is a bit more "Real" it hasn't released but many people are slamming it because it's "Anime Style" and it is but the artist is Hyung-Tae Kim, he is an artist and a 3-d modeler who is working on the production of NCSofts Blade & Soul, He drew the concepts of the characters and him and his team put them into the game.

Some examples of his Art:

Examples of his 3-D
http://i.imgur.com/qcD1P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YaAT3.jpg

And, a video of gameplay/classes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODD790bO2VU

Go figure that a ton of people already stated they will not even try this because of the anime art influence, this is most likely going to be a very good game.

Back