• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new phone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just a nickname

My phone is getting old (curve 8900)... I really want to get a new one, but its been a long time since I was following the news. I would just like to know what are the best phones actually and if I should wait a bit (xmas) to buy a new phone...

Oooh boy did you just open a can of worms.

There are faster and better spec'd phones out there. But does that equal a better experience? I say no i prefer Apple due to how smooth and easy everything is. Buying a new phone basically boils down to operating system preference at this point. Android or Apple? I say go to your nearest store and play with both of them. See what you like. Anything else will just be other peoples personal preference coming into play.

The Samsung Galaxy SII is probably the strongest competitor to the iPhone - I've got one and love it. Battery life with wifi or data on is a bit poor though.

My other half has the new Bold (9800?) and she's impressed with it, but she's more keen on having all of her email and messages in one place than playing with a nifty touchscreen (like me :)).

The Samsung Galaxy SII is probably the strongest competitor to the iPhone - I've got one and love it. Battery life with wifi or data on is a bit poor though.

My other half has the new Bold (9800?) and she's impressed with it, but she's more keen on having all of her email and messages in one place than playing with a nifty touchscreen (like me :)).

Hmm...when I got my wife an iPhone...she literally uses it 10x more than her previous Blackberry. And I left BB for Android. Blackberry sucks.

I just don't want apple. Never bought any apple product of my entire life. I got from friends some ipod/iphone but gave them back as I preferred my BB.

It is mainly because I dislike how it is built (can't change battery, memory, internal component, etc.) Things may have changed but I still not really trust apple in general (check this:
). I always enjoyed the product itself but as soon as I wanted to change something (like directly accessing the phone via computer without any third party program) it was impossible... I like to have the possibility to change everything on my stuff and it makes me mad not being able to do so.

Also, I would just like to know when I should buy. Should I wait for Xmas? Any new announcement of phone?

I'm no apple fanboy and actually don't own a single other item from them but the iphone is the single best phone on the market. My work supplies us a Blackberry and it doesn't even compare to my personal iphone.

The reason they have everything internal, and granted that was one my main barriers as well, is because it just works. Period, it just works. You don't need to change or fix stuff to get it "right" because apple did it already. Plus how much do you actually change a phone?

Bug, My droid x "Just works" as well. Only tinkering I do is for aesthetics. Flying toasters wallpaper? Check. Mario instead of motorola logo? Check.

I couldn't ask for a better phone, and I'm running last gen equipment.

Yeah, Apple fixed a LOT of peoples gripes with the iPhone with the new iOS. In my mind, the 4S is the biggest serious competitor to Android, especially now that the notification system is equalized and Siri is a big plus.

I've had an iPad and iTouch, now I have a Droid Charge. Android takes the customization and power award, you can change every aspect and make it work exactly like you want. There's a learning curve though, whereas iOS was much easier to use.

Samsung Galaxy S user here.. If I could I would be picking up either the new Galaxy S2 OR the Samsung Nexus S (new 'vanilla' google phone).

I"m not sure what provider you are with. I'd go for the Nexus Prime - Verizon. It is the highly anticipated Android release.

Im in canada and I may just buy the phone unlocked to go with the provider I want & not having crappy plan.

I think I will wait a bit until window8 phone hit the market...

Back