• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My router bit the dust. What's a good brand, what features do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WiglyWorm

• I am a gamer, and I run a teamspeak server, so easy to configure firewall exceptions would be good.
  • Good range is essential, I currently have a little belkin router with one antenna and it gives me 1 bar in the further reaches of my house.
  • I am building a home theater PC and want to stream media over the wifi, either from my main desktop PC or from a NAS without choking out the other device's internet access.
  • I'm not looking to break the bank.

Alrighty!

First things first, if you are going to be doing a decent amount over Wifi do your devices support Wireless N?

Secondly, if possible I would really try to find a way to wire the HTPC to the router, the speed differences when it comes to streaming are pretty significant, especially with anything in HD (I actually just bought a gigabit switch to connect all of my PCs/consoles together for easier streaming instead of the 10/100 on my normal router).

What would you consider to breaking the bank >$100?

And what was the previous router that you had, so we can compare the specs/etc.

Back