• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H100 in a CM 690 case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikeyw

http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/294838-cooler-master-690-club-1595.html
^^^apparently you can fit the radiator at the bottom.

What I have no idea about is water cooling in general,

1. what powers the fans? Do they require a motherboard fan slot? I have none free. Or does the power come from the PSU?
2. With the H100 do you have to put four fans on there? Does it only come with two?

Can I fit the radiator at the top of the case?

Thanks for any help, wherever I look there is no summary of the basics, why some people have four fans, or only two, and where the power comes from.

1. Looking at the pictures of the H100 from newegg.com you should be able to see that the 2 included fans have 3 pin connectors. The pump assembly has a molex and 2 3pin adapters. So you plug your fans into the 3 pins and the molex for the pump and fans in the PSU.

2. You do not have to, no. It does come with two (look at link at newegg).

3. As far as fitting it in the CM690. I have no clue. You can see the dimensions of the product from the newegg website or corsair then measure inside your case to see if you have room (until someone can come in and tell you)

Thanks.

So what powers the pump? The PSU?

And if I don't have enough motherboard slots for more fans, what can I do?

Yes. It's connected by a standard 4 pin Molex power connector which is also split into 3 pin fan connectors for the fans. The PSU powers everything.

Edit: OP, if you want to control the fans easily, you should invest in a fan controller and connect the fans to that. Not sure if you can control the pump speed at all, but it doesn't seem to give you much choice in that department.

Yes, the PSU powers the pump (everything). Look at the picture I linked in newegg to see what I am talking about. ;)

Buy 3 pin to molex adapters.

Your link doesnt work for me. You will need a 3 pin male to molex connector if you decide to get 4 fans (why?).

the big thing to watch out for on the CM690 is gonna be the tube lenghth. I have mine mounted on top so I've got plenty of tubing to get to the block. From your link, the pics make it look as though you'll have room, but only just. In fact, if that asus 570 is a DCII or if you plan on SLIing ever, I'd bet the tubing's too short.

I have mine mounted to the top and It's working out very nicely. Might be a touch louder than bottom mounted, but airflow in the case is great this way.
Only caveat is that the EPS/ATX power connector on this and many other boards will end up right under the back fan, so you have to take care for that...

This is my daily driver and I'm not trying to show off my cable management!:D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 6,197
the big thing to watch out for on the CM690 is gonna be the tube lenghth. I have mine mounted on top so I've got plenty of tubing to get to the block. From your link, the pics make it look as though you'll have room, but only just. In fact, if that asus 570 is a DCII or if you plan on SLIing ever, I'd bet the tubing's too short.

I have mine mounted to the top and It's working out very nicely. Might be a touch louder than bottom mounted, but airflow in the case is great this way.
Only caveat is that the EPS/ATX power connector on this and many other boards will end up right under the back fan, so you have to take care for that...

I can't see the radiator? How'd you manage to fit in that long radiator in there? I can't see it in the pic.

I ask because I'm presently in the midst of upgrading to the x79 platform and was thinking about getting the H100 for cooling. I've got a CM 690 and have been doing some research on which cooling system would be best for my build.

Thanks for posting the pic, BTW.

the rad itself is hidden under the case lips at the top. It's not even quite an inch thick, I don't think. You can see the two fans I've got mounted to it at the top though..

Under the top cap/mesh piece, there is a place for 2x140mm fans, of which the case comes with one. Simply remove it and attach the rad to the holes drilled for 2x120mm fans. There'll be small gaps on either side of rad where the 140mm cutouts are slightly too bit, but it doesn't cause any airflow problems and you can't see it anyway once you pop the cap back on..

With my board, I had to mount the rad first, then put the board in, then attach the fans so as to get around the EPS/ATX 8pin connector, and then mount the block. X79 has the RAM slots on either side of the cpu socket which shouldn't be a problem, but it's a totally different layout, so that's how I'd go about it, to make sure everything fits in there right.:D good luck! and :welcome:

Last edited:
Back