• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this actually safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spec_Ops2087

Last time I tried unlocking my duron it blew out for some reason....I'm getting a 1.2ghz tbird for the chip that I blew out and I was wondering if I should attempt to unlock it again...It may have blown out because I didn't have the heatsink on(in a sense it was on but not clipped down:eek:) Oh yeah I did the pencil trick...any suggestions??

Spec

Spec_Ops2087 said:
Last time I tried unlocking my duron it blew out for some reason....I'm getting a 1.2ghz tbird for the chip that I blew out and I was wondering if I should attempt to unlock it again...It may have blown out because I didn't have the heatsink on(in a sense it was on but not clipped down:eek:) Oh yeah I did the pencil trick...any suggestions??

Spec

From your description it sounds like you had your heatsinkresting on top of the cpu but not attached with pressure. The pressure is absolutely necessary in order for the heatsink to work. If I have understood correctly, then it is far more likely that you blew the chip by running it without a properly installed heatsink than that you blew it by unlocking.

As long as you are careful not to let the bridges cross each other, there's really nothing that will harm the cpu by unlocking it. Even if you do cross the bridges the most that generally happens is that the chip won't boot until you uncross them.

*(note: this is NOT true of the XP series. Improperly unlocking an XP can cause the chip to fry.)*

nihili

Yea.. nihilli does seem right, you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO USE THE CLIPS. These AMD will blow if their not cooled for more than 8 seconds. Also, my first unlocking job was unsucessful, because I think my penciel marks were too close to each other. It didn't boot. So I set it to stock multiplier and it did. So I unlocked it again, this time way better.

It should not fry unlocking.

Yodums

Back