• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 560 SLI question !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kriptamester

I'm in need of help with my new upgrade.
I currently own a Gigabyte GTX 560 TI OC (GV-N560OC-1GI) and I'd like to buy a new GTX 560 for SLI but I'm confused about that which card can I use for sli. Can I pair up my Gigabyte GTX 560 TI OC (GV-N560OC-1GI) with a non-TI version of it (for example: Gigabyte GV-N56GUD-1GI) ? Also is it a good idea to stay with Gigabyte or can I buy other brand without causing any damage in the system ?
Thank you guys for even reading this and if somebody could help me it would be awesome :)

You need the exact same GPU, memory amount, and clock speeds. You cannot SLi pair a 560ti with a regular 560. Ideally, you should buy the exact same card as the first as this avoids most of the concerns. If you can't, you want a card with specs that matches your first card. In your case, you want a 560Ti with 1 GB of memory, 900 MHz core, 1800 MHz shaders, and 1000 MHz (4000 MHz effective) memory. Brand isn't critical as long as the GPU type, clock speeds, and memory amounts match.

Board reflashing can take care of clock discrepancies if both cards are capable of running the same speeds, but that's a little beyond a lot of people's comfort level.

You don't need to have the same clockspeeds on the card, but you MUST get a card that has the exact same VRAM and exact same GPU.

i.e.: An MSI GTX560ti: 1GB VRAM/880Mhz Clock is fine with MSI GTX560ti Hawk Edition: 1GB VRAM/950Mhz Clock.

OK, it works, but only if you put the slower card in the primary PCIe slot IIRC, and the faster card will clock down to match the primary card. You're right though, if you can't find an exact match of clock speeds, close will do as long as everything else matches.

For best results, I recommend matching the specs right down the list.

You can always use EVGA precision or MSI Kombustor to set the clocks to the same without doing any bios modification.

Thank you guys for your answears you were really helpful. I was wondering if i could remove the windforce cooling system from my Gigabyte gtx 560 ti oc and put it on a Zotac GTX 560 TI to overclock the zotac to the factory speed of my gigabyte and keep it both cool ?

Maybe.

They'd both need to have the same PCB layout, and that's far from guaranteed on cards like that. If they're both reference design PCBs, have at it.

Back