• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a mid-high 5.1 set-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

awhir

Hey , I originally stumbled on this forum looking for info on Logitech Z906's .From reading some threads it seem they are not worth the money and custom set up is the way to go.

I currently have Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speakers which i find pritty good but i have no sound card so I'm using onboard sound .My room is quite small and in a box shape so I'd say it is ideal for a 5.1 set up . would you recommend going from 2.1 to 5.1 ?

I am willing to spend around 450e including a sound card .I dont know much about audio equipment so im hoping someone can help me out :) .What set up would you recommend ? From some research the asus sound cards seem to be well recommend ,has anyone on this forum had much experience with these cards and would you recommend them ?

budget is around 450euro , i will be using the system mainly for music and some gaming .

Music should ideally be a 2.0 or 2.1 setup. Music is designed for stereo, not surround, so if you want to get into music your best bet is a 2-speaker component setup. 5.1 is a better option if you're into movies or games.

johan is right, but if you want both, just look at getting a receiver. When you want to listen to music you set it for stereo, for movies and games set it for 5.1-7.1.

I left 5.1 for my PC setup with a good pair of M-Audio monitors and energy sub several months ago and haven't looked back since. 2.1 has been great and I rarely want to casually listen to 5.1 in my computer room anyway (mostly web surfing and music production). If you game, 5.1 would seem mandatory, otherwise it's probably not necessary.

I agree that a receiver and decent surrounds speakers/sub would be better quality than any prepacked 5.1. It all depends on how picky you are and the intended purpose for the setup (gaming really doesn't need to have blistering clarity, just a decent sub). The Klipsch PC speaker setups are good for the money but still fall short when compared to a decent component setup. But they cost about half what I would expect to spend on a good component setup.

I suggest you get a good sound card. Rest assured the 5.1 will seem an upgrade for some time but, a good sound card + a good 2.1 system, and you have it all. Music, games and Movies too will be a lot pleasurable.

If your speakers are good, save money by not buying a sound card and get a good receiver. Generally Yamaha, Onkyo, or Harmand that supports optical or HDMI so you won't have to worry about a soundcard again. Unless you play PC games and want 5.1 which, afaik, you need a card that supports DolbyLive because otherwise your optical will just output stereo PCM, depending on the source. I've had mid-grade Creative cards in the past and just can't be bothered with crappy drivers again.

Back