• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD + SRT In 4 hdd raid 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matt~G

Registered
I have recently put together my new pc with a p8z68 gen3 Mb with Intel smart response technology. I also have 2 WD 250gb RE4's on the way in the mail and I am currently running off my 2tb Wd green HDD at the moment.

So my Question is... Can i Run my Wd Re4's in Raid 0 and use the SSD to cache. Does anybody think there is a performance gain here or will the SSD choke down the HDD's? The reason is that i plan on doing alot of video encoding so I need lots of storage space, and I am also a big gamer so I want to cut down on application and game load times.

On another note i plan on getting 2 more RE4's with a combine total of 4 in raid 0. Beleive it or not, I think that the WD RE4s enterprise class hardrives will out last the SSD's :D

I have recently put together my new pc with a p8z68 gen3 Mb with Intel smart response technology. I also have 2 WD 250gb RE4's on the way in the mail and I am currently running off my 2tb Wd green HDD at the moment.

So my Question is... Can i Run my Wd Re4's in Raid 0 and use the SSD to cache. Does anybody think there is a performance gain here or will the SSD choke down the HDD's? The reason is that i plan on doing alot of video encoding so I need lots of storage space, and I am also a big gamer so I want to cut down on application and game load times.

On another note i plan on getting 2 more RE4's with a combine total of 4 in raid 0. Beleive it or not, I think that the WD RE4s enterprise class hardrives will out last the SSD's :D

It appears the answer is no:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272930-32-caching-raid

Yea I have read that article today already, they talk about why not just use a ssd for the OS they dont really answer the guys question wether or not you can use a ssd for cache in a multiple raid HDD and if there is a performance increase. The whole purpase is to get ssd like accesing speeds while maintaing hdd reliablity and read/write speeds.

I have been reading anything and everything I could find on this all day and nobody seems to have a definate answer. looks like I will have to try it out and run some benchmarks and post the info myself

Walk around with my " I did the research " shirt on

Yea I have read that article today already, they talk about why not just use a ssd for the OS they dont really answer the guys question wether or not you can use a ssd for cache in a multiple raid HDD and if there is a performance increase. The whole purpase is to get ssd like accesing speeds while maintaing hdd reliablity and read/write speeds.

I have been reading anything and everything I could find on this all day and nobody seems to have a definate answer. looks like I will have to try it out and run some benchmarks and post the info myself

Newer SSD's are maybe more reliable, if treated correctly, than any consumer HDD!

Building a 4 drive RAID0 do not seem very reliable to me, if 1 drive fails, all data is lost

Not many RAID0 made from consumer HDD will outrun even very old SSD drives.

I think it comes down to that no one has tried it. I'm inclined to say no it wont work; In RST utility if you cannot use TRIM on a raided set of SSDs because windows cannot distinguish between the drives since the array is a virtual storage. I dont see how you could do the reverse with trying to cache a virtual drive.

You're welcome to try it but I seriously doubt it'll work. Call intel?

Back