• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel X25M G2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thobel

I have been debating replacing my 3x X25MG2s 160GB with 2 Corsair GT 120's or 2 Vertex 3 MaxIOPS and as I look at the benchmarks I don't see the hugh jump in performance for Sata III SSD's seems to me that 2 of the Best Sata III's are at best = to 3 Intel X25's? Am I wrong?

This is what my current setup gets

3-x25mg2160.jpg

I'm in no way saying the Intel is better then the Corsair or Vertx just seems like unless I go with 3 Corsair or OCZ It/s not much of an upgrade?

I'm not sure anything else will give much better results than you allready see, because your X58 SATA2 ports are propably close to be maxed out - I assume you use your Intel SATA2 ports ?

From everything I have read and heard, stick with the intel's for stability's sake. I personally didn't trust a sandforce based drive enought to buy one when I was looking, and wouldn't trust 2 in a RAID 0

Again, all personal opinion, YMMV...

There are faster drives out there. Though as said I wouldn't truss sandforce controllers at this time.

I came from 2x Intel G2 80Gig drives and the difference was huge. Mainly due to the fact that the drives where degrading in Raid0 and I was loosing performance. At peak I was getting 500 Read/160 Writes..... Now im getting 1000 Reads/ 320-350 Writes with 2 drives on a SATA III controller. Not the fastest but im pleasantly happy with them and the extra space.

I'm not sure anything else will give much better results than you allready see, because your X58 SATA2 ports are propably close to be maxed out - I assume you use your Intel SATA2 ports ?

Yep I'm using 2 Intel Sata II. My MB does have 2 Sata III ports (marvel I think)

From everything I have read and heard, stick with the intel's for stability's sake. I personally didn't trust a sandforce based drive enought to buy one when I was looking, and wouldn't trust 2 in a RAID 0

Again, all personal opinion, YMMV...

I do love Intel's SSD's the X25 series should go down as one of the all time best drives imo (I have 8 of them)
As for trusting in Raid 0 I don't really worry no data is stored on any of my computers every pc is backed up every night to my WHS What I do is every six months or so I break raid plop into an external Sata thing and do a secure wipe. On them.

There are faster drives out there. Though as said I wouldn't truss sandforce controllers at this time.

I came from 2x Intel G2 80Gig drives and the difference was huge. Mainly due to the fact that the drives where degrading in Raid0 and I was loosing performance. At peak I was getting 500 Read/160 Writes..... Now im getting 1000 Reads/ 320-350 Writes with 2 drives on a SATA III controller. Not the fastest but im pleasantly happy with them and the extra space.

What drives are you using now? Can you run an AS-SSD bench on them also I would like to see how it matches up with the 3 Intels

Back