• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 8800GTS 640MB died, looking for something cheap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeadSmiley

Well, I had an 8800GTS 640MB card in the computer in my sig. It's an old computer and the 8800GTS served me well, but I let the dust bunnies pile up and now I have a dead card. The rest of the machine is fine. It is running with an nVidia 5200 AGP card at the moment. The motherboard will take either PCIe or AGP.

I am looking for something in the performance range of the my old 8800GTS because the rest of the computer is pretty crusty. I don't game with it anymore but my kids use it and I don't want it to be a complete dog.

The bottom line is I need suggestions for something new or used, but I am not up on the current tech. Not even sure if a newer PCIe card will work in this 6 year old mobo.

Thanks for any advice! :attn:

I would clean out the dust bunnies and bake the card.
I give it a 85% chance that the card will be resurrected.

If you want something newer, there are some 5830s in the classifieds for a mine numbingly cheap $80 http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693483
They'll obliterate an 8800GTS, too.

EDIT:
There are some quite cheap 8800 series cards, too: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694351

If you do buy a new one, be sure to list the old one in the classifieds. Odds are someone'll buy it.

I am not sure what baking the card means, but I am open too it...

And thanks for the links!

Isn't that awesome? :D

I love that you can repair GPUs in an oven. It cracks me up.
Glad it worked! :rock:

Yes, it is awesome. I am going to try it with the 6800LE when I get the chance. I need a new fan for it however...

Anybody have a good source for small fans like that?

Guys, call me stupid. But I want to get my hands on one of those broken 8800GS just to yell: "Guys, dinner is ready! We have roasted G82 BGA balls!!"

Back