• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer only recognizing 3 of 4 RAM sticks in Rampage IV Extreme - Corsair RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wdarea51

Hello,

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out for the past day. I even got a replacement motherboard from amazon because I thought the board was faulty. Still same issue.

I have Corsair Vengeance RAM 16GB 4x4 1866 modules.

System:
R4E
RAM above
Corsair AX850 PSU
EVGA 2.5gb GTX 570
Revo Drive SSD

My system will boot to windows, and that still only shows 4GB of ram. When I turn the machine on everything boots up fine. The BIOS only shows three of the four RAM sticks worth of RAM though. I have tried everything to figure this out. I even replaced the motherboard through amazon and that did not fix it. The Cooler I use is a Corsair H80. I have it bolted down pretty securely so its definitely not loose.

I made sure that I put the CPU in very very carefully this time on the second board and still the same issue so unless it came with bent pins, that is not the problem. Also I highly doubt I would have the same exact issue with two different boards with the same exact pins being bent if that was the issue in the first place. I saw that bent pins was an issue that would cause this exact problem somewhere else on either this forum or another one.

Tried single sticks. It recognizes all of the sticks individually in slot 1. If it put 2 sticks in it recognizes those as 8GB. If it put a third stick in the third slot, it still only recognizes 8GB, if i put that stick in the 4th slot, still 8gb. I only get 12gb when I have all four sticks in, otherwise its only 8gb. So I can't conclude a faulty slot very easily, because it could be either 3 or 4. But since I returned the first board and still have this problem I have a hard time believing it is a hardware issue with this board.

So I am at a loss as to what the problem could be. Any ideas to get it to recognize all of the RAM. Also if I clock the RAM at its suggested speed the BIOS splash screen comes up and says "system unstable - something about CPU multiplier 12x"

So Currently I am running with 4 sticks in, only 12gb recognized, and at 1333 instead of 1866 like I should be. Try loading safe, and optimized defaults, still no dice.

I will be closely monitoring this thread so your help will not be ignored, also I will post what the solution is if I find one.

edit: CPU-z shows ALL 16GB of RAM, but nothing else does, that is the only program that picks it up?

This is the exact RAM CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233236

Also am running the latest BIOS. I am about to RMA the CPU with newegg next week if I can't get it working. Someone on the asus forums suggested that it could be the IMC in the processor. Or it COULD be the RAM, being able to run in single mode but not dual mode, which would make sense with only detecting 3 of the 4 sticks. Still though, wtf?

Have you tested each slot on the motherboard one at a time?
You say that windows only sees 4GB at all times?
What version of windows are you running?

In order for windows to use more than 3.5GB of ram you must have a 64bit copy.

The 1333 vs 1866 thing is very very common on all platforms, the reason is because the highest JDEC(group that establishes memory standards) currently is 1333. Anything beyond that falls into what is known as XMP(eXtreme memory profile). Basically you need to go into the bios and manually set the speed and timings or use the XMP configuration.

Have you tested each slot on the motherboard one at a time?
Yes - each stick works by itself

You say that windows only sees 4GB at all times?
no windows sees 12 GB, of the 16 installed

What version of windows are you running?
win 7 x64 but the BIOS also does not see all 16gb only 12gb

In order for windows to use more than 3.5GB of ram you must have a 64bit copy.

The 1333 vs 1866 thing is very very common on all platforms, the reason is because the highest JDEC(group that establishes memory standards) currently is 1333. Anything beyond that falls into what is known as XMP(eXtreme memory profile). Basically you need to go into the bios and manually set the speed and timings or use the XMP configuration.

- I am aware of this also, its not the main problem, I assume that not seeing all memory and not being able to overclock are linked, I have also tried inputting settings manually into timings, and raised the VCCSA to 1.15 and that still did not fix it.

Also tried loading XMP from the RAM in the BIOS, still nothing.

I know you said you tested all sticks in slot 1, I was asking if you tested slot 2, 3, 4 with a single stick all by itself to check if the memory controller is functioning on that channel.

If that passes, and CPU-Z sees the ram the only thing I can think of is a bios setting that controls whether triple/quad channel is enabled. I dont have the board or any socket 2011 so I cannot say definitively on that token.

Interesting..I am having the exact, same issue with almost identical configuration:
Windows 7 – 64 Bit (most recent version of bios)
Asus R4E
OCZ 1250 PSU
ATI 5790 XXX in Crossfire
Revo Hybrid Drive
Dominator® GT with DHX Pro Connector — 1.5V 16GB Quad Channel DDR3

The difference is...my system only sees 4 Gigs of 16. Were you able to resolve the issue?

was able to resolve

Was able to resolve, only by replacing the CPU and memory, not sure which solved it, most likely the CPU.

Wow....sounds like a nightmare build. I have had a few of those too. Glad you can finally enjoy your new pc....it's a solid machine! After reading all the threads I went back and re-seated the memory and appears
3 of the 4 never fully engaged the socket....took a good amount of force to get them in place. The board actually flexed when I applied pressure. All good now. Thanks for the quick response.

Look in the user guide on page 2-5 for the proper memory placements. for 4 sticks of ram they are al supposed to be placed in the red sockets, otherwise your OS will not read it.

Back