• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED HD7970 & HD7950 Results Thread - Torture Your Card, Post It Here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
These things are going to become available in a under a week now and you know some people are going to just jump at the chance to see what their new card can do. (Heh, assuming there is enough availability for people to, you know, buy them.) So I'm starting a little early and showing what I could do with the card now that we have a little voltage to play with.

Some of you have seen these before and if you have I apologize. These are just being consolidated and put in the AMD GPU section. Hopefully our members in the not-too-distant future can come up and whoop my behind, all in the name of ye holy boint (or just seeing what you can do for the heck of it)!

If your card doesn't have voltage control to begin with, you'll need to finesse it a bit to get the most out of it.

The Old.

If your card doesn't have voltage control to begin with, you'll need to finesse it a bit to get the most out of it.

The New.

Before Sapphire TRIXX & MSI Afterburner, we had to take the more circuitous route above. Now those two are out and can adjust voltage on any card - no BIOS flash necessary.
Now, some results! These are what I was able to get with a 3960X under water (with an impassable ambient 5.1GHz brick wall) and the AMD reference 7970 on stock cooling. These things are serious powerhouse cards. :attn:

HWBot Heaven Xtreme DX11: 2869.539 - currently the #2 highest score for a single GPU on the bot. It was #1 for just under 24 hours...easy come, easy go. It will surely fall as people put their new cards under extreme cooling.

7970-heaven-2869.539.jpg

3DMark 11 - 11724

7970-3d11-11724.jpg

3DMark Vantage - 44782

7970-3dvantage-44782.jpg

Also, just to be clear, this card is the AMD reference card from our review. The GPUz subvendor saying ASUS is simply a function of having an ASUS BIOS flashed to the card.

That's what I've been able to do so far. There are other insane results that trounce me across the web.

Now show us what you've got (or get when you get your card)!

Last edited:
That GPU is a monster, a demon in disguise, sold at far underrated clocks. Thats the first time a GPU in a review was tested at so much lower clocks than it truly could handle. The LN2 1700/1980?! 217 GTEX, 380 GB/s, 1 GPU, i guess they did steal that stuff from a alien, pretty sure. At some point we could see a 2000/2000 which should be worlds first. Hottest GPU of all time so far. The quad is to much for my nerves.

Last edited:
Hokie, I think there must be a different brand of 7970 that OCF will be getting in to review (you know, a different brand, etc) I'll be happy to do that one ;)

Funny, on quad X fire, the SB-E CPU at 5.6 GHz clock is now a limiting part on 3DMark11 (!), the GPUs just are to powerful. Its... just amazing. They will need a duo SB-E board to get the max out of it, on a quad X fire.

Unfortunately thats not the case for usual gaming, where a strong CPU is mostly underused.

Anyway, seems like, the newest Radeon is now the same mighty stuff such as the current I7 CPUs from Intel, that can be said without a single hesitation.

Last edited:
Im expecting to get one in the next few days will post and looking forward to see what other ppl are doing with these....they look really promising...specially the OC on these cards....

Bumping this one to the top. I expect some of these to start showing up soon...let's see those results everybody!!

Just picked up the only two in the entire city (live in a relatively small Canadian city of 700k).

nwc5ub.jpg

Yeah they're different brands, but they're literally the same card being part of the first wave. Should not have any problems CFing them. If I do, eh, just exchange for another HIS or Asus.

Now I gotta go to work instead of playing with the new toys :eh?:

Just picked up the only two in the entire city (live in a relatively small Canadian city of 700k).

Both are reference cards, so you definitely shouldn't have a problem. Flash both with the BIOS that hokie mentioned and you definitely won't have a problem. Can't wait to see what they do in CF, so incredibly powerful alone. Please share your results ASAP!
:)

Don't forget to submit your scores to HWBot, so you can compare to others and help the Overclockers team reach the top of the rankings! Have fun!

Matt

nwc5ub.jpg

Yeah they're different brands, but they're literally the same card being part of the first wave. Should not have any problems CFing them. If I do, eh, just exchange for another HIS or Asus.

Now I gotta go to work instead of playing with the new toys :eh?:

Could you list them in Passmark too? ;)
I'm fully interested what amd accomplished with the hd7970, after the fail of the bulldozer chips.

Wow Doz, that's a heck of an improvement. Methinks it's time for a sig update. Congrats!

Im happy. Can max out BF3 now with ease. Even the 6970 oc'ed struggled at highest settings to the point where I backed it down. Wish I had SB-E but I just cant justify the cost. Might be able to squeeze a LITTLE more memory out of it and Im wondering if the core might get a bump w/ some aftermarket cooling. I know my 6970 didnt like high overclocks above 70c AT ALL and what was stable at 60c wasnt stable at 70c+.

If you haven't tried it, ASUS's GPU Tweak has memory voltage as well as core voltage.

EDIT - NM, I see you're already at 1744...no need for moar voltage, you've already done it likely. :p

Both are reference cards, so you definitely shouldn't have a problem. Flash both with the BIOS that hokie mentioned and you definitely won't have a problem. Can't wait to see what they do in CF, so incredibly powerful alone. Please share your results ASAP!
:)

Don't forget to submit your scores to HWBot, so you can compare to others and help the Overclockers team reach the top of the rankings! Have fun!

Matt

Could you list them in Passmark too? ;)
I'm fully interested what amd accomplished with the hd7970, after the fail of the bulldozer chips.

I won't be taking them out of the box until I get the rest of my components mailed in. So like...a month basically :bang head

this thread makes me happy and sad at the same time

... Happy because these cards are ridiculous and sad because im a poor poor man :(

Back