• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Halp - Overclocking i7-2600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phoenixz

Registered
Hello,

first of all, I tried to check on the forum topics if what I'm going to ask wasnt answered already, but, if it was, I'm sorry, I couldn't find it .
I'm really new to anything related to Overclocking, I just build my first rig 3 weeks ago and only started "overclocking" 7-10 days ago.

Before I post my questions, let me say the pieces..
Asus Sabertooth rev3 (bios version 2103)
i7 2600k (d2)
Corsair AX850W
Cooler H100
2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz (9-9-9-24-2 1.5v)

At the moment I have it overclocked to 4.6ghz:
AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK Freq: 100.00
Turbo Ratio: Enabled (All Cores)
By All Cores: 46
Internal PLL OverVoltage: Auto
Mem Freq: 1600mhz @ 9-9-9-24-2
EPU Power Saving: Disabled
Load-Line Calibration: Ultra High
VRM Freq: Manual Set to 350
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Contorl: C Probe Current (I belive its the equivalent to Extreme, but on Sabertooth)
CPU Current Capability: 100%
CPU OverVoltage: Manual
CPU Voltage: 1.38v
DRAM Voltage: 1.5v
VCCSA Voltage: AUTO
VCCIO Voltage: AUTO
CPU PLL Voltage: AUTO
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Ratio: Auto
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Intel Virtualization: Disabled
Intel SpeedStep: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
CPU C1E,: Enabled
CPU C3 and C6 : AUTO
Intel Virtualization Technology: Disabled

To test the stability:
Intel Burn Test at MAX 30 cicles (Ambient 30º,max CPU temp: 57, Max Core Temps: 66, 71, 70 69)
Linx at MAX 25 cicles (Ambient 30º,max CPU temp: 55, Max Core Temps: 65, 69, 68, 68)
Prime95 10hours (Ambient 31º,max CPU temp: 57, Max Core Temps: 67, 71, 69, 68)
Battlefield 3 for 4 hours (Ambient 27º, max CPU temp 45º, Max Core Temps: 52, 54, 53, 54)

My question are:
Is there anything I can change on bios to be able to use a lower Vcore or changes that could affect temperatures somehow?
Should I be setting manually Vccio / Vccsa / Cpu Pll Voltage?
Should I change CPU current Capability?
About the way Im testing the stability... is it overkill or its correct? (I'm asking this because I could play bf3 with the cpu at 4.7ghz @ 1.395v, but couldnt get it stable on Intel Burn test even at 1.420v)

So many question =/, if someone is really pacient and willing to help a nub, add me on skype/msn/anywhere .

So, the last ones .
I would like to know what is the "common" agreement on what is a "safe" Vcore for 24/7 (suposing there is one )
I'm trying to set a 47 or even a 48 multi for daily use but I really would like to learn how to tune the settings to get my pc to the limit :[ (just for fun, Im really enjoying doing this), right now I cant get it stable at 4.7ghz even with Vcore 4.25v, thats why I decide to ask for help instead of just increasing vcore mindless ;D .

Anyway, thanks for any help and Im sorry for the english mistakes, its not my native language.

edit: I don't know if this information is important or anything, but, I could get to windows and play bf3 (real temp / cpuid / ai suite / everything open...) at 5.1ghz @ 1.485v (I really don't know if this information matters, just posted because I friend told me to do it :I)
edit2: Link to pics of my bios settings,

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

For a 4.7-4.8Ghz clock change CPU Voltage to Offset Mode--> Offset Mode Sign: +, then CPU Offset Voltage to ~0.040V = 1.38-1.39V Vcore while running Prime. Also change CPU Current Capability to 140%, disable both CPU C3 Report and CPU C6 Report, and disable Internal PLL Voltage.

For a 4.7-4.8Ghz clock change CPU Voltage to Offset Mode--> Offset Mode Sign: +, then CPU Offset Voltage to ~0.040V = 1.38-1.39V Vcore while running Prime. Also change CPU Current Capability to 140%, disable both CPU C3 Report and CPU C6 Report, and disable Internal PLL Voltage.

Ok, gonna do that right now :)

Sorry for the aside here... but Redduc, adding .04 offset should put him in the 1.2-1.25v range depending on stock VID, right? I dont understand how that works I dont think..

Also, depending on the CPU, PLL override voltage MAY be needed at 4.8Ghz... Best to leave it disabled now, and try to enable it later.

Auto Vcore should be ~1.34-1.35V w/ the Turbo multiplier at 48, so figuring in a +0.04V full load VID offset would equal ~1.38-1.39V, which I'm guessing is probably required for that clock. LLC may also need to be changed from Ultra High to High at 4.7-4.8GHz and w/ Offset Mode enabled, which I believe equals 75%.

Last edited:
Gotcha... I dont do auto so that explains the difference in stock voltage. Thanks!

/aside

Hi again,

first of all, thanks for answering my topic ;d, I posted this questions on 18 forums total (that was 10~ days ago), 0 answers.

So, with +0.04 it was enough to run prime for 2 hours without any kind of problems, vcore was stable at 1.424-1.432... But on IBT MAX it got a critical error after 4 tests (it was set to 10)
ly9MM.jpg

With +0.045, I got a BSOD ..101 after 8 minutes of IBT...

With +0.05, IBT gave me a critical error after 8 loops,

v8Grt.jpg

Am I doing anything wrong? :'[ Should I just keep increasing Vcore? Any other config I could change to increase stability and maybe lower the Vcore? (Vccio / change the memory timing / I dunno! ;'[)

I would probably change the offset to +0.03V and take VCCIO voltage off Auto, changing it to ~1.25-1.30V to start. And make sure to try changing Load-level from Ultra High to High, as I don't think Ultra High is necessary w/ a 4.8GHz clock.

Last edited:
I would probably change the offset to +0.03V and take VCCIO voltage off Auto, changing it to ~1.25-1.30V to start. And make sure to try changing Load-level from Ultra High to High, as I don't think Ultra High is necessary w/ a 4.8GHz clock.

Im trying that atm! Just curious, isnt that change on Vccio a big jump (not sure if "big jump" is the term Im looking for, I hope you understand)? (stock is 1.05v, works until 4.6ghz/1.38v and Im changing to 1.25~ to start)

Am I reading that first SS correctly? Max vcore seen was 2.0v :shock:

I think its a common reading bug, like Ai Suite II reporting cpu temp 127º if you have aida64 open =), the fan readings are wrong just as some of the temperatures (unless I really hit 128º). (hwinfo64 on the other hand reports 169º motherboard temperature)
I hope... :mad::mad:

Increasing vccio really helped :D, got 4.7kk stable with 1.392v-1.416 =) (offset+0.020 and Vccio 1.08125v)

Thank you ;), working on 4.8kk now :D

Last edited:
Increasing vccio really helped :D, got 4.7k stable with 1.392v-1.416 =) (offset+0.020 and Vccio 1.08125v)

Thank you ;), working on 4.8k now :D

4.8K would suggest 4.8Kilohertz. You want 1000 times that :p.
You're doing good and your original OC was well within reasonable temperatures to answer your initial question.

Hmm, Im reading about overclocking the RAM atm and it says to loose the timings / increase the vccio / dram voltage, but by how much?
Anyone have any tips/hints on this?

Thanks =)

I wouldnt bother overclocking the ram. It will not net you any noticeable performance increases outside of benchmarks.

That said, logic dictates to only give it as much as it needs. so one notch up on each would work... but again, see first two sentences. ;)

I wouldnt bother overclocking the ram. It will not net you any noticeable performance increases outside of benchmarks.

That said, logic dictates to only give it as much as it needs. so one notch up on each would work... but again, see first two sentences. ;)

Well, I'm trying to overclock everything just for the fun in doing it, I'm not expecting to see any performance increase :D, I might start doing some benchs since I have wayyyy too much free time after I stopped with WoW ;o..
I would keep forcing the cpu but Im waiting for the new radiator arrive so I can try push further ;o (4900ghz/1.465v/77º~ on prime atm ;'[) and I dont have any idea how to OC the Graphic Card, yet :)

Anyway, 1 notch up on each and test, ok, thanks :)

GPU clocking is easy... raise core until it freezes, drop back 20Mhz or so, test. Rinse and repeat with memory.

GPU clocking is easy... raise core until it freezes, drop back 20Mhz or so, test. Rinse and repeat with memory.

Raise only the core clock or the shader clock too? After getting a stable core/shader, then start increasing memory until its unstable? sounds simple :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Do I need to change the voltage at any point? Do I need any specific software to do that? I know I can change those 3 options on evga precision, not sure if there is a better software to do that :shrug::shrug:

What softwares do you recomend to test the gpu stability?

Anyway, thanks for everything :salute::salute:

Both.. If you have a 4 series card or newer, you dont have a choice. There are several pieces of software you can use. Precision being one of them.. MSI Afterburner.

To test stability I would loop 3DMark Vantage or 3DMark 11.

Back