• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Price drop of GTX 580 after 7950 is released?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pavypavy

Registered
Hey guys 1 quick thing before I begin might be off-topic.

Do you think Ivy bridge is something worth waiting for or is it just a small update? Based on what you have heard so far, and the things you seen about it. I know It's coming in 2 1/2 months but will it be worth it?

Now to the sooo oftenly asked question when GPUs start releasing. Do you think that the GTX 580 3GB will drop in price when the 7950 is released. I'm hoping for the 3GB version of the GTX 580 to cost around 400-450. Is this something Nvidia has done in the past if profermence was worse for the price-point? The card has already dropped by 30$ and is now $550 (previous costs were $600-->$680).

I know I shouldn't rush and I have the time but I really want my BF3...

Worth it? What are you currently running? Can you wait to upgrade to it when its released or do you need a new PC now? That said the 2600k is a monster already and the Z68 boards are a natural upgrade to IB.

You dont need 3GB for BF3. Runs fine with the 1.5GB already on the 580's... Grab a 580 or 7950 when it releases.

I need the 3GB for software that utilizes more vram. Also the system I'm currently running is a Pentium laptop with Intel HD3000 Graphics lulz. So it will be my first system.

Do you think that the GTX 580 3GB will drop in price when the 7950 is released. I'm hoping for the 3GB version of the GTX 580 to cost around 400-450. Is this something Nvidia has done in the past if profermence was worse for the price-point? The card has already dropped by 30$ and is now $550 (previous costs were $600-->$680).

It almost certainly will happen but not for at least a month or two. The price corrections happen a while after the architecture releases, because the hardcore (ex: us) are going to buy the new tech regardless of anything. When AMD rolls out the lower end cards and there starts to be some vendor competition on 7970 prices, Nvidia 500 series prices will start dropping pretty quickly.

It almost certainly will happen but not for at least a month or two. The price corrections happen a while after the architecture releases, because the hardcore (ex: us) are going to buy the new tech regardless of anything. When AMD rolls out the lower end cards and there starts to be some vendor competition on 7970 prices, Nvidia 500 series prices will start dropping pretty quickly.

Do you have any expectations as too what it will be also will warranty still be supported?

Do you have any expectations as too what it will be also will warranty still be supported?

Hard to tell on exact prices.

The warranty will start from the day of purchase and most manufacturers have lifetime warranties anyways. Just be sure to register the card...

Back