• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help troubleshoot what is broken for me so I can return it if necessary!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

haxuh

Using:

Asus Sabertooth 990fx Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 975 @ 3.6 ghz (Stock)
Western Digital 5200 RPM 500GB Hard Drive.
G.skill Ripjaws 8 gb 1600 mhz ram.
Thermaltake 750 Watt Tough power PSU.

Computer shuts down when loading Windows 7 64-bit. Shuts down when it shows the windows logo.

Can't boot from disc or USB stick with copy of win7 on it. Even if I change the boot order or try to manually override the boot and/or disable the hard drive.

I've built 3 computers so far but never experienced this.

Also I'm using the latest version of bios.

1. Is this a brand new build?
2. Did you double check all connections?

Pull all but one stick of RAM and make sure its in the 1st slot as described by your mobo manual. See if it will boot then.

Another question - Are you booting an already installed drive? Do your copies of Windows have chip set drivers installed from other Windows installs?

Another question - Are you booting an already installed drive? Do your copies of Windows have chip set drivers installed from other Windows installs?

Yes I am. And I assumed this could be a problem.

1. Is this a brand new build?
2. Did you double check all connections?

Pull all but one stick of RAM and make sure its in the 1st slot as described by your mobo manual. See if it will boot then.

The PSU and harddrive are old, everything else is new. I've tried the recommended ram slots but to no avail. Also tried in other slots afterwards but still no use so I put them back.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is the point it sounds like you are failing is when you are loading Windows drivers.

I just dealt with a similar issue. Windows thinks it has a problem and it sticks there. I can't remember what exactly all I did but I found the answer searching Google in a Microsoft technical doc on how to manually repair the issue. As I recall the end solution was to force the generic Windows drivers to load then once booted the correct drivers could be installed. Also if you go through the repair cycle a couple of times it will eventually give you some alternatives because windows realizes its fixes are not working.

have you tried disabling on board sound, on board video if you have a different vid card, On boar lan card, USB ports. Try and disable all of those and see if windows boots.. then enable 1 at a time and reboot to install them.
I had a issue before with USB, USB devices were causing major crash's and lock ups. I disabled on board USB, rebooted and then re enabled then, let win reinstall them and everything stabalized.

Back