• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Android tablet? Few Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

Well I'm thinking about picking up a android tablet.

New to the tablet world I was checking out the Kindle fire. I have not done really to much research but with the fire do I have to rebuy all my android market apps on there store? I do not own to many apps, but I just dropped like 20 bucks on the android market for a few games.

I guess I'm looking for a cheaper tablet (if I can't run my stuff without rebuying it on the fire).

I play a lot of smartphone games these days Order & Chaos mainly. Also do most of my surfing from my phone (always on the go busy). Just want a tablet for home use lol. By the end of the day my phone has killed my eyes.

Maybe some suggestions on some nice tablets preferably under 400 bucks.

With a rooted kindle fire you can install the android market and download all your apps.

Personally I have a touchpad and I think the 10" form factor is great. I think you should try out 10" vs 7" in a store to make sure you are okay with the smaller size of the 7". What is your main purpose of this tablet?

i can seriously be mistaken since i use IOS and not android but i believe that you can install the kindle app which replicates the kindle on most all android devices so why not just get a galaxy tab and then the kindle app

I wouldn't get a galaxy tab, over rated and over priced. If going android, definitely go with the Asus Transformer (or newer Transformer Prime). Check eBay because pricing there is really good on those tabs. I'm not a fan of the android OS, but if you're heading that route then definitely go with the Asus offerings. You can also buy a dock for it with an extra battery, usb ports, etc.

The 7" screens are just too small IMO for most practical use. For strictly media streaming and very light internet/email/app use, then the 7" is fine, but most people need the 10" screen.

Main purpose for it is browsing the web and gaming believe it or not lol (Love Order & Chaos).

I've also gotten into flashing phones and doing all sorts of stuff, my two smartphones have become my computers basicly. I stopped tinkering with pc's and I'm always messing with my phones.

The Asus ones look good.

I think I will go to best buy and check out some tablets see if I like a 7" or if that's too small for me.

I did a bit of research on the kindle fire and I see they are developing cyanmod for it. So I guess it really comes down to me going and checking out some tablets in person at the store.

Thanks

I wouldn't get a galaxy tab, over rated and over priced. If going android, definitely go with the Asus Transformer (or newer Transformer Prime). Check eBay because pricing there is really good on those tabs. I'm not a fan of the android OS, but if you're heading that route then definitely go with the Asus offerings. You can also buy a dock for it with an extra battery, usb ports, etc.

The 7" screens are just too small IMO for most practical use. For strictly media streaming and very light internet/email/app use, then the 7" is fine, but most people need the 10" screen.

I actually enjoy my samsung galaxy tab 8.9. The form-factor is great for both surfing and reading (ebooks). The screen is good, but not the best, and the only thing I wish it had but doesnt is a micro-SD slot, but the is mostly negated w/ the 16gigs flash. Is it perfect? No, but it more fun for me than an ipad.

I actually enjoy my samsung galaxy tab 8.9. The form-factor is great for both surfing and reading (ebooks). The screen is good, but not the best, and the only thing I wish it had but doesnt is a micro-SD slot, but the is mostly negated w/ the 16gigs flash. Is it perfect? No, but it more fun for me than an ipad.

But they cost more and offer the same functionality. No sense in spending more for anything if you don't need to, right? :thup: I didn't say there was anything wrong with the galaxy tab. It had some uniqueness when it entered the market earlier than many other tablets. Since then there's many more options, and most of them cost less (and in some cases offer more).

Unless you really want one right now, wait til the quad core come out which probably be by middle of the year. If you must have one right now, it depend on what you want to use it for and how flexible is it in term of rooting/flashing.

Well I'm thinking about picking up a android tablet.

New to the tablet world I was checking out the Kindle fire. I have not done really to much research but with the fire do I have to rebuy all my android market apps on there store? I do not own to many apps, but I just dropped like 20 bucks on the android market for a few games.

I guess I'm looking for a cheaper tablet (if I can't run my stuff without rebuying it on the fire).

I play a lot of smartphone games these days Order & Chaos mainly. Also do most of my surfing from my phone (always on the go busy). Just want a tablet for home use lol. By the end of the day my phone has killed my eyes.

Maybe some suggestions on some nice tablets preferably under 400 bucks.

correct me if im wrong, but asus is coming out with a tegra 3 quad core tablet with 8 gigs of memory for 250 in april. it has an sd card slot so memory shouldnt be an issue. its a 7 inch widescreen tablet.

point to remember also with the Asus Transformer line:

4.0 ICS support for both the initial and the new model!

I have a Nook Color, it was cheap and it's great actually! almost the same hardware as a Galaxy Tab but half the price...-only WiFi connections though-
I overclocked mine from 800mhz to 1300mhz and it can play Order & Chaos with CyanogenMod 7.1 no prob.
I would suggest going for an HP Touch Pad, as they have three key advantages:
1. HP is halting production on them and they're really cheap nowadays
2. Great hardware! Dual core chip, lotsa ram big *** 10.1" screen!
3. You'll have fun tweaking the heck out of it (head out to xda devs site for more info, great community for that tablet)
If that fails to convince you go for the most "true" tablet experience which can also do as a notebook replacement and get a Transformer Prime.
-I'd surely do so if I had the spare cash...or maybe wait for Win8 tablets. At least that'll be the upgrade path for my Nook Color if Win8 delivers)
Thanks for reading my humble opinions...cheers!

I went with the Nook Tablet over the Kindle Fire. Dual Core plus expandable memory.

I rooted it and it can pretty much run anything off the Android Market. Some things dont work but for the price Im happy.
I mostly use it to watch movies off Amazon and read Kindle books...lol
Yup Kindle books on a Nook Tablet.

Hahaha! I love me Nook too...Also if you install Cyanogen Mod 7.1 you can pretty much play any game using Chainfire3d plugin. Tegra, Powervr, etc. all work! -well, the vast majority of them- Also you get bluetooth support for Wiimotes and ps3 joypads xD

Just an fyi, I rooted and installed an Ice Cream Sandwich alpha build on my Galaxy Tab, and overall, I am very impressed. I honestly can't wait for the official Samsung build to come out, or for this alpha to get to beta/release quality, it is very nice with minimal issues.

If you are serious about getting an android tablet, make sure you get on that will be updated to ICS, or is already running ICS...

Last edited:
AFAIK there won't be ICS for the Nook, at least the old color model I have. It's been tested by some xda folks and it didn't work well, so the best you can get out of those is android 2.3.7...sadly.
Don't know if the Nook Tablet's any different in that regard.

I purchased the Toshiba Thrive for my wife for Christmas. I found it very good and fast. Dual core 16GB with 1 GB ram. Still runs Android 3.4 at the moment. Gonna try ICS when it goes official.

I just picked up an Archos 80 G9 on eBay. Really nice, with a dual core TI SoC (the model ICS was developed on). The screen is 8 inches, but not real narrow like the 7-inch ones. It comes with Honeycomb with an ICS 4.0 update scheduled for the first or second week in February. The keyboard case works nice and was only another $20. It was at Microcenter for $239 and sells most places for $250 or less (I got mine really cheap on eBay). I don't like the 10.1 inch screens, just too large to carry around, and 7 inches is too small IMO.

2u634wi.jpg

That one actually looks really sexy!
Meh, I like tablets, and I'd like an upgrade for my Nook Color in a few months...
Could consider one of those. Or maybe a Win8 tablet! -maybe both xD-

I just picked up an Archos 80 G9 on eBay. Really nice, with a dual core TI SoC (the model ICS was developed on). The screen is 8 inches, but not real narrow like the 7-inch ones. It comes with Honeycomb with an ICS 4.0 update scheduled for the first or second week in February. The keyboard case works nice and was only another $20. It was at Microcenter for $239 and sells most places for $250 or less (I got mine really cheap on eBay). I don't like the 10.1 inch screens, just too large to carry around, and 7 inches is too small IMO.

2u634wi.jpg

2u634wi.jpg

What's the screen rez on that tablet?

Looks like a pretty sweet deal hardware wise...

Back