• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deleted AMD Drivers - Faulty colors - Need help ASAP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaceFace

Registered
Hey,

I was thinking of installed the 8.95 drivers, so uninstalled the drivers I had now.
Everything on-screen turned black, with slight tints of blue over some icons. I can manouver around with keyboard shortcuts, although can't see certain needed text parts.
I could open the downloaded AMD drivers and choose next, until I get an install error which I am unable to read.

Any ideas? Would appreciate!

Reboot.

The system should install basic VGA drivers, then install the new ones.

And what are '8.95' drivers? 12/1 I thought just got released...

1. Run driver sweeper set to AMD/ATI GPU settings.

2. Reboot.

3. Run driver sweeper again (same settings). You don't need to reboot again.

4. Install new drivers.

I just updated mine. I uninstalled the old drivers; most of my screen turned black with very few basic colors splashed here and there on the screen and I wasn't able to read or hardly even see anything.

I rebooted, same bad colors and wasn't able to read or see anything.

Turned computer off, disconnected my DVI cable from my GPU, connected it to the mobo DVI output and restarted. Got no signal at all.

Turned computer off, reconnected my DVI cable to my GPU, restarted. Everything was back to normal and I was able to see everything and install the new drivers without a problem.

Not sure why disconnecting the monitor and reconnecting helped, but it did. You may as well give it a shot.

EDIT: It probably won't help by just disconnecting and reconnecting while the computer is off, so you should try reconnecting it to your mobo (if applicable) or leaving it unhooked and restarting your computer, waiting until it's safe to turn it back off, reattach the monitor and restart again.

Last edited:
I managed to install the latest drivers on the AMD page, just had to guess where to point and click you know... So I got it working, but I still haven't found a use for uninstalling the latest drivers when it works to just install the new drivers over the old ones without a problem.

I just updated mine. I uninstalled the old drivers; most of my screen turned black with very few basic colors splashed here and there on the screen and I wasn't able to read or hardly even see anything.

I rebooted, same bad colors and wasn't able to read or see anything.

Turned computer off, disconnected my DVI cable from my GPU, connected it to the mobo DVI output and restarted. Got no signal at all.

Turned computer off, reconnected my DVI cable to my GPU, restarted. Everything was back to normal and I was able to see everything and install the new drivers without a problem.

Not sure why disconnecting the monitor and reconnecting helped, but it did. You may as well give it a shot.

EDIT: It probably won't help by just disconnecting and reconnecting while the computer is off, so you should try reconnecting it to your mobo (if applicable) or leaving it unhooked and restarting your computer, waiting until it's safe to turn it back off, reattach the monitor and restart again.

Had this also with 7970 drivers, was a pain to get rid of also, couldn't see where to click, and wouldn't uninstall in safe mode. Had to do a rollback, leaving me with several files now unused.
Did an uninstall of the driver, ran driver sweeper and ccleaner to make sure all was clean, and only then could I install older drivers.

Back