• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 64bit Blu Ray playback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bernersick

Registered
Bought a ASUS BC-12B1ST Blu Ray drive and didn't do the research that I needed a program/codec to actually play Blu Ray discs.

Any suggestions on which program that is worth purchasing?

You need cyberlink power DVD 11 install in order to play bluray movie. They are few other as well but I like cyberlink better.

TotalMedia Theatre 3 & 5 are available for trial (there is no v4 by the way) as well as PowerDVD 10 & 11.

Understand that they stop updating older version and then you have to buy a new version again because companies releasing Blu-ray DVDs continuously release new protections schemes which make older Blu-ray software unable to correctly play them. Even first generation hardware standalone blu-ray players cannot play some of the new stuff.

Third option is Corel WinDVD Pro.

Try all three before deciding which to buy. Buying newer versions will guarantee they last longer.

-- The thing I don't like about PowerDVD 10 and 11 is that they cannot display folders with system attributes. They are not visible under PowerDVD:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/18330.page#94377

EDIT: This problem can be resolved if instead of "System Attribute", the folder is assigned a "Read-only" attribute.

-- The things I don't like about TotalMedia Theatre 5 are multi-monitor issues. These are not big issues and do not affect single monitor viewing. If you have two monitors and like to watch a movie on one and use your computer on the other then:

• When mouse can't be used on certain Blu-ray titles, Arcsoft's remote control is displayed on screen. It is locked within the borders of the program window - it cannot be moved to another screen so that remote is used from a separate screen on a multi-screen system.

This is a side effect of the User Interface engine which cannot place objects outside the base window. This behavior cannot be "corrected" within the existing framework but the request for this option was noted by ArcSoft should they "change the framework in the future to something that would accommodate that possibility."

• When you click on the Menu button now, all is well on Monitor #1. But when you move the program window to monitor #2, clicking on Menu button results in empty space.

Last edited:
Have any of you tried the k-lite codec pack? I saw a blu ray option for it. Might be worth a try as it's free.

Playing non copy protected Blu-ray material can be done using various programs which cannot play copy protected commercial discs.

Back