• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mineral Oil Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whitefang

What are the benefits of this? I've seen some videos around where people have everything but their ports/harddrive submerged in mineral oil - does it really offer that much more, in the way of cooling? Or is it just a gimmick to make your computer look cool?

Mineral oil is a bugger to deal with. A nice water loop is easier I imagine, and actually yields some benefits.

I've heard good things about it, it does a pretty good job, but like Con and Dave pointed out, it's much more complicated than watercooling...I don't know that we actually have anyone on this board who's done it, so you'll probably be mostly on your own, but stick around (especially if you decide to go through with it) and be our resident expert :D

I might look into it in the future, but I don't currently have a rig I can risk destroying if I do something wrong. I was just wondering, because it didn't seem to make much sense - people claimed that if they had their board mounted in a large tank, the tank provided enough space for it to cool off without radiator or anything.

I don't know much about this stuff, though xP.

I have seen two instances where it works without external radiator cooling. One, it would overheat, hat has to go somewhere. The other was a low powered rig that would of been fine on quiet air, was a experiment.

Most other discussions were just like this...

It died once the OP understood that sometimes ideas aren't supposed to work..........

I have done this a few times and love the idea/look. It sucks horribly at cooling. I am running an old amd64 sempron in oil so it looks cool for running pandora in the family room. Not fun to work on to say the least, but like I said before I love the look/idea of it all.

The pics and video are over 2 years old and some things have changed. I found better ways to mount everything. Any type of tape/adhesive was dissolved by the oil. The first psu finally died from heat/oil. Lots of oil traveled up most of the wires. Oil traveled up the power cord from the psu to a power strip, through the power strip and to the wall eventually softening the drywall and the plastic that covers the outlet to the point it cracked and created a short and shut down mine and 2 other workers computers. They were not very happy about that.

I hope to always have at least one.

Here are some pics of one I had for my office at work.....when I had a job....before I was laid off....2 years and still no luck in finding a full time job...........

Anyway, here is a little video

th_DSCN0230.jpg

DSCN0218.jpg

DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0220.jpg

DSCN0221.jpg

DSCN0222.jpg

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

DSCN0226.jpg

DSCN0227.jpg