• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aynjell

Hey guys, need the help from the other people who probably know more than me...

I need a monitor under 1000$ with extremely low input latency. I need something of PVA quality or better (so *VA or *IPS), that is 24" and does 1920x1200.

Any suggestions guys? I need something competition class, speed wise without going to TN.

Minimal isn't really what I'm after. I'm looking for something a CRT user might switch to.

Both of the monitors I linked are CRT replacement candidates. What type of work do you plan on doing? My colleagues do graphic design work and cad work and the color reproduction of these monitors are the best in class. If you don't like them (which I doubt) you can return them. They also have the best return policy in class for dead pixels etc.

Color reproduction is important enough that I don't want TN, but it takes a very distant second to latency. I need something that a professional gamer would switch from a CRT to use.

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but my U2410 has zero bleeding and I've never noticed any ghosting. What kind of latency are you looking for?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176110

i got these and i used to use them for Pro gaming when i played SC:BW its 1920X1080 which is the only spec i can see them not matching, i get zero ghosting no dead pixels color is perfect(compared with a photo of an object) i also tested latency and it is infact 5ms which is such a small number it has zero effect even on the most time crucial tasks. there is some back light bleed but i dont even notice it unless the screen is 100% blackened.

all in all they arent exactly what your looking for but i would use these over CRT any ****ing day

I need something that a professional gamer would switch from a CRT to use.

you don't need to spend $1000 to get a monitor that will work great for games.

latency issues are just about dead in all but the cheapest lcds now. The technology has come a long way since crts were still popular. I'm using a samsung that cost me about $250 on sale and it does great for games and movies too. no noticeable ghosting.

My room mate has benq FP241W monitors. The input latency on those is considerably better on those than my HP's. I need something that feels fluid, and feels fast. If I'm able to feel it, then it's a bad thing. And LCD's may have come to a point where people who aren't HONESTLY TRYING to get into some form of e-sports or another, than you might not notice, but I'm terribly sensitive to input latency and my current monitors are not doing the job gaming wise.

Also, NO LCD has gotten even close to the feeling of playing on a CRT. I'm sorry but if you genuinely feel that LCD's are as good as CRT's in the speed department, then your opinion is not one I'm looking for. I'm not asking for good enough, I want to know if anybody on this board knows what is CURRENTLY the best, so I can read about it. What I'm wanting is the lowest latency ips or pva gaming monitor. Something that looks good, but gets as close to a CRT as any ips or pva can.

Best I've found so far is Dell U2312HM e-IPS 1920x1080 and 0.6ms average response time, which is better than TN panels they've tested. Still looking for the 1920x1200 resolution...

untitled.PNG

If dell had a 1920x1200 version of that I'd of bought it already. I'm weighing my options on those right now, though. I really want them and they look perfect to improve my game.

If there was a 24" 1920x1200 version I'd buy it yesterday. :D

That said, any other monitors so close to CRT performance like that?

Now, if I buy these I should get just blisteringly smooth and articulate input, or am I mistaken? I'm thinking that with no input lag, I should get insanely good mousing performance in games like starcraft 2 and quakelive, right? (as close to CRT without eating my entire desk)

I'm tempted to order one as a teaser/test unit.

Okay, there are mixed reviews all over the internet. some sites saying it's NOT a great gaming monitor, forum posters complaining of ghosting, etc. I'm not as convinced as I was a bit ago.

Okay, let's go ahead and skip the ips requirement. I'm willing to move to an extremely fast TN panel if such a thing is available. I'm probably also going to be dropping 1 card from my SLI. :\

I play competitive BF3 and SC2 on two u2410's and I am not a rookie in this area at all. Input latency at the 2-6ms level is undetectable by the human eye. The best part is that as mentioned above, the input lag can range from anything below or UP TO 6ms. You will find a TN panel with 2ms but it will not be like getting an IPS. Consider switching from a TN panel to an IPS panel like switching from one monitor to two: you cannot go back. Take my advice, the U2311(2) or U2410 or U2711 are your best bang for the buck with a 3 year advanced warranty built into the retail price.

2ms will not make you a better player than someone with a 6ms display and its foolish to think that. I can find you 1000 people who say the monitor is **** and 1000 people who say the monitor is gold in another form - if you search hard enough for what you are looking for on the internet you can find it, including negative reviews if you are looking for negative reviews.

Go with an IPS you will not be disappointed.

exactly, i hate that these companies even list the latency, i dont think people realize how quick 6ms is, when you blink it takes 100-150ms to go from open to close to back open. and blinking hardly obstructs your view, your mind simply cant register events going that fast to be recognized. there is a reason why 60 FPS is a good standard, its a rough estimation of how many frames per second our mind can see and retain for processing. after 60FPS you may notice things being a little more fluent maybe but for the most part our minds simply cannot and will not detect anything much faster than 50ms

I play competitive BF3 and SC2 on two u2410's and I am not a rookie in this area at all. Input latency at the 2-6ms level is undetectable by the human eye. The best part is that as mentioned above, the input lag can range from anything below or UP TO 6ms. You will find a TN panel with 2ms but it will not be like getting an IPS. Consider switching from a TN panel to an IPS panel like switching from one monitor to two: you cannot go back. Take my advice, the U2311(2) or U2410 or U2711 are your best bang for the buck with a 3 year advanced warranty built into the retail price.

2ms will not make you a better player than someone with a 6ms display and its foolish to think that. I can find you 1000 people who say the monitor is **** and 1000 people who say the monitor is gold in another form - if you search hard enough for what you are looking for on the internet you can find it, including negative reviews if you are looking for negative reviews.

Go with an IPS you will not be disappointed.

I'm well aware of the advantages of ips and pva, my current monitors are aging pva panels I got for extremely cheap.

I found a solution that costs nothing. My room mate and I are trading a monitor for a monitor for the duration of my stay in his home, his benq's have drastically lower input lag.

just some FYI
1 millisecond (1 ms) — cycle time for frequency 1 kHz; duration of light for typical photo flash strobe; time taken for sound wave to travel ca. 34 cm; repetition interval of GPS C/A PN code
1.000692286 milliseconds — time taken for light to travel 300 km in a vacuum
2.27 milliseconds — cycle time for A440 (pitch standard), the most commonly used pitch for tuning musical instruments
3 milliseconds — a housefly's wing flap
3.3 milliseconds - normal delay time between initiation and detonation of a C4 explosive charge.
4 milliseconds — typical average seek time for a 10,000 rpm hard disk
5 milliseconds — a honey bee's wing flap
8 milliseconds — 1/125 of a second (125), a standard camera shutter speed; fastest shifting time of a car's mechanical transmission
10 milliseconds (10 ms) — cycle time for frequency 100 Hz
11 milliseconds — the latency on a spektrum Dx7SE radio
16.7 milliseconds (1/60 second)– a third. Also called a jiffy. Cycle time for American 60 Hz AC mains grid
20 milliseconds — cycle time for European 50 Hz AC mains grid
33.3 milliseconds — the amount of time one frame lasts in 30fps video
41.708 milliseconds — the amount of time one frame lasts in 24fps video or film (actually 23.976fps for most films.)
50 milliseconds — cycle time for the lowest audible tone, 20 Hz
50 milliseconds — the time interval between gear changes on a Lamborghini Aventador
60 milliseconds — cycle time for European 16.7 Hz AC electrified railroad power grid
62.5 milliseconds — a sixty-fourth note at MM = 60
30 to 100 milliseconds — typical minimum latency for a broadband internet connection (important for online gaming)
100 milliseconds — the time interval between gear changes on a Ferrari FXX
125 milliseconds — a thirty-second note at MM = 60
134 milliseconds — time taken by light to travel around the Earth's equator
150 milliseconds — recommended maximum time delay for telephone service
200 milliseconds — the time it takes the human brain to recognize emotion in facial expressions
250 milliseconds — recommended maximum time delay for a computer terminal or web page
250 milliseconds — a sixteenth note at MM = 60
430 to 500 milliseconds — common modern dance music tempos (120 - 140 BPM)
300 to 400 milliseconds — the blink of a human eye
400 milliseconds — time in which the fastest baseball pitches reach the strike zone
495 milliseconds — an approximate average of the round trip time for communications via geosynchronous satellites
500 milliseconds — an eighth note at MM = 60
860 milliseconds — average human resting heart rate
1000 milliseconds — one second

Back