• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

game server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slynutcase

not sure where this post would go so its going here for now, one of my favorite games (for online multiplayer) used to be dark messiah of might and magic, yet if i remember rightly a few years back they dropped the dedicated server for it and the only servers up for it are clan based,
my question is, how would i got about setting up a server of my own for it? and what kind of hardware would i need? what kind of budget would it involve?
also what kind of internet connection would i need for it and would it take up the whole bandwidth of a normal household internet connection?
sorry if i have been unclear or have missed anything, any help/info would be a great help for me to get my head around this problem.

There is nothing special about a "server". It is literally just a computer that runs a program that serves information upon request. For example, if you share files from your computer, your system is technically a server.

Although, there is "server hardware", which just means it is made to a higher standard (plus other things that I won't mention to prevent confusion), and thusly, more expensive. I think this is where you are getting confused. You don't need this.

I'm not sure what kind of hardware requirements are needed to run that, though. So, you will need to search around. Usually, you can find out the bandwidth/memory requirements per player. For example, if it took 10kb/sec upload and 100 mb RAM per player and you had 10 players, you'd need 100kb/sec upload and 1gb of RAM.

so if i get what your saying correctly, with a powerfull enough system i could host several rooms for myself and friends to play it properly without too much fuss?
i wouldnt need say, a specific seperate system to act as a server?

i wouldnt need say, a specific seperate system to act as a server?
Precisely. If the requirements were low, you could run it on an old Dell with a Pentium 4 a few gigabytes of RAM. Heck, you could probably run it on your current computer and still play the game.

i have an old athlon x2 4800 system sitting around not doing hardly anything at all 90% of the time, its what i used to play that game on and it's sort of a backup for when my current system isnt working,
so i could use that one to host the rooms and then play useing my system?

i have an old athlon x2 4800 system sitting around not doing hardly anything at all 90% of the time, its what i used to play that game on and it's sort of a backup for when my current system isnt working,
so i could use that one to host the rooms and then play useing my system?
As long as it can handle the load, that would work fine. :)

this has kinda made my day today then, going to have a go at setting that all up,
thanks for the time and the guidance, hopefully me and a few of my friends can enjoy an old game once more :thup:

ya i am hosting a minecraft server and all the game needs is RAM about 50-100mb per person so i gave it 2gbs so i have 14gb left for myself + my internet is not the best but it good enough for this game and to let some of my friend (3-4) play with out me even noticing them on

but i would check how much Ram per person it needs and how many players you will have on at any givin time

thanks trekky ill look into that aspect of it, but ram isnt a big problem as its affordable to replace and i belive i have 4gb ddr2 in it at the moment.

Back