• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dying gpu or psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulcaller

Hello everybody , I'm having a really hard time with my 5770 , everything was fine when I used catalyst version 11.10 , but then I updated at 11.12 and all the trouble have came. I tried to get rid of the 'display adapter stopped working and has succefully recovered' the first time it worked and then I had to reinstall w7 x 64 and I did the same thing and now I can't get rid of it. So i was maybe thinking that my 5770 is maybe dying ( it's 4 years old and I used it a lot , and overclocked it but It never reached more than 60 c, so maybe I'm getting artifacts and bugs even at stocks speeds and with every catalyst version because the card is dying . The other thought I have is that my 750 w thermatake psu is maybe too old to supply my pc, when I surf the web I never get the error but when I open a game it doesn't take time.. and it's not overheating. Could buying a new psu helps or using x version of catalyst or any other tip? and also what psu to buy I will be using a overclocked 7950 in the future, thanks a lot for any help!

intel dual core @3.06 stabbly overclocked to 4.03 ghz with cpu cooler
4gb of 1333 mhz ram
gigabyte 5770 ultra durable series ( 4 years old)
Thermaltake 750 w
thermaltake sworm m ( with 7 fans I'm also selling it , leave a message in this post if you want it for 300$)
asus extreme ii motherboard

thanks for the reply, I thought it was maybe the psu because the pc takes a long time to boot and I can hear the gpu and cpu fan going to highest speed to lowest when my pc starts , It sounds like the pc is having a bad time to starts..and it could tells that my psu is dying

thanks for the reply, I thought it was maybe the psu because the pc takes a long time to boot and I can hear the gpu and cpu fan going to highest speed to lowest when my pc starts , It sounds like the pc is having a bad time to starts..and it could tells that my psu is dying

Not necessary a PSU problem. Lot's of system will have the fan go from high to low(er). This is due to CoolnQuiet or Speedstep working. It's a good thing.

A couple weeks ago I had a problem with slow Windows start from sleep (from a SSD no less), slow program load and periodical lock up. I narrowed the problem to 1 USB external HDD. After further investigation and testing in a different system, the problem is the USB cable. Replaced the cable and everything is running as it should.

I'm not saying this is your problem. Just illustrating that the problem can be masked else where. The key is troubleshooting and isolating the components to one or two. Replacing the wrong component can be frustrating at best and expensive.

Well windows always start within 45 seconds so that's not the problem, well I think.. I will borrow a 5850 and see with it does..thanks and if it does nothing I'll change the psu

Back