• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chomping at the bit for Ivy Bridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robmoo

I'm not so patiently waiting for the Ivy Bridge release to build a new gaming PC. I running with a Core I7 950. I was thinking about rebuilding when the LGA 2011 socket released, but I wasn't very impressed by the chipset and it seems the 1155 socket is just as fast for gaming.

After I've rebuilt my gaming PC I may take some of the hand my downs and rebuild my transcoding PC with a 3930K and a new MB. It looks like the LGA 2011 CPUs are beasts at multi threaded applications such as transcoding video.

I'm doing the same thing. I have a pair of OCZ Colossus in a RAID0 that are getting passed on has hand me downs. Getting new SSD's (a pair of 500GB drives in RAID0), MB, CPU, Memory, Video card. All I'm keeping in the case, the Blu Ray drive, and the PSU. I haven't decided on the SSD's yet. I was thinking OCZ vertex3's, but a few vendors have come up with good competing products. I may go with Samsung. It looks like the price of a 500GB SSD has dropped from $800 to $600. $1200 is expensive, but at a budget of $150 every other week I can pay for it in 4 months then use them for 5 years. I find that even with a Media Server I used close to 600-750GB on my gaming PC with games and such. 1TB of SSD's may not be cheap, but it is worth it.

I think a lot of people are in that boat, im also coming from i7 950. With ivy, getting new mobo, ?intel 520 SSD 240gb, and ? gtx 680 for graphics. And my waiting isnt very patient either...4 more weeks.

I think a lot of people are in that boat, im also coming from i7 950. With ivy, getting new mobo, ?intel 520 SSD 240gb, and ? gtx 680 for graphics. And my waiting isnt very patient either...4 more weeks.

Yep, same here:
I had to sell my 2600K setup a couple of month ago, and I am waiting for IB, together with a 680...

intel_cpu_roadmap_ww08_550.jpg

Can't wait for 3770K!

i Don't get it

Ok i don't understand all the hype about ivy bridge. Why would i buy an ivy bridge socket 1155 when in less then 9 months its replaced altogether with the haswell that is a 1150 socket especially if u have an 2600 or 2700 now?
At lest with the sandy bridge -E you can upgrade the cpu to the ivy bridge - E. Cpu on and E s cheaper then 2600 or 2700 and probably will reamain cheaper then the ivy bridge. And unless u going with some crappy or mid tier motherboard the price are going to be the close.
Example asus rog board 330 cpu 330 660 for an i7 2600
msi xpower 2 board 390 cpu 310 700 for an i7 3820 that a little faster and u have atleast 1 more upgrade u can do.
Then comes ivy bridge thats a little faster then the 3820 for just about the same price unless u going cheap, and its the end of the line for that socket.
I dont get it.

Msi Big Bang xpower II
i7 3820
16gb of ram (waiting on newegg)
plextor dvd rw
plextor blu-ray
2 hyper x 120gb SSD(raid 0)
2 wd 2tb black drives(raid 1)
2 Dell u2410 monitors
Waiting on the the 600 series vid cards

Last edited:
Ok i don't understand all the hype about ivy bridge. Why would i buy an ivy bridge socket 1155 when in less then 9 months its replaced altogether with the haswell that is a 1150 socket especially if u have an 2600 or 2700 now?
At lest with the sandy bridge -E you can upgrade the cpu to the ivy bridge - E. Cpu on and E s cheaper then 2600 or 2700 and probably will reamain cheaper then the ivy bridge. And unless u going with some crappy or mid tier motherboard the price are going to be the close.
msi xpower 2 board 390 cpu 310 700 for an i7 3820 that a little faster and u have atleast 1 more upgrade u can do.
Then comes ivy bridge thats a little faster then the 3820 for just about the same price unless u going cheap, and its the end of the line for that socket.
I dont get it.
:rofl:

I dont get it.

It's hard for me to tell what you're saying, but I'm going to buy a 3770K in December just to make you mad.

Why buy haswell which releases in one year when broadwell will release one year after that!!!

I understand waiting a week or two for a new tech to come out to make it worth upgrading, but months or even a year? You will just be waiting for ever.

:rofl:
Translation of previous post
Ivy bridge dead within a year Sandy bridge E still upgradable.
As far as waiting for new tech yes its an endless cycle
But dropping in another cpu is alot cheaper then replacing your cpu and mb.
Just sayign u get more bang for the buck with the sandy e vs ivy bridge

Last edited:
But Dan, for some folks (like me) IB will be an upgrade from a crappy clocking SB chip. And I plan to treat myself to a nice little IB upgrade for that machine at the end of April, to celebrate my birthday. ;)

I'm still torn. Been waiting a few weeks now to build my new system and have been stuck with my little netbook in the mean time. Always planned to wait for Ivy bridge but I do a lot of video and photo editing. SB-E might be the way to go if that is my primary use. I haven't played games for a long time but what is out these days excites me like it did when I was 16. It does suck that they're changing the socket again down the track again though. It'd be nice to be able to just drop in a new cpu in a couple of years to get me by for another year or two.
I guess this system will always be good for editing 1080p footage and it will be graphics cards that will make the biggest difference to games for a while though.

I dont get it.

Msi Big Bang xpower II
i7 3820
16gb of ram (waiting on newegg)
plextor dvd rw
plextor blu-ray
2 hyper x 120gb SSD(raid 0)
2 wd 2tb black drives(raid 1)
2 Dell u2410 monitors
Waiting on the the 600 series vid cards

Because I dont' have a 1155. I'm working with the old 1366 Lynfield that was released in 2008. Sandy Bridge was only a modest improvement over Lynfield 1366. So, I waited to see the Sandbridge LGA 2011. Frankly I was disappointed that Intel has made so little improvement on the x79 chipset and don't see much of an advantage of the LGA 2011 over the SB 1155 or the up coming IB 1155 when it comes to gaming. The IB 1155 looks like a less expensive but just as good option for upgrading a gaming rig that is getting long in the tooth and a bit twichy in the reliability department. I don't want to wait for Haswell. I may skip Haswell and upgrade with the next tick or tock.

Man, looking through here I am starting to have my own dilemma. I was planning on picking up a 2500K next week but IB will be out in 4 weeks... Any word on pricing for an IB part equivalent to the 2500K if such a thing exists?

Back