• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

waterchamber in stock cooler for gpu, isn't it upside down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qiplayer

Registered
Hello everybody!

I see the vapor chamber technology is been used for gpu's.

Here is a picture

gtx580_vapor_chamber.jpg

When I first saw it I asked myself, how can this efficiently work if the heat comes from above? And the vaporchamber is turned upside down?

This is the case of a gpu mounted in a pc case.

If I'm not wrong, the part that get's the heat should be at the bottom, the colder water should come down through lateral channels to this point.
Then evaporate, and condensate again when it is at the top, in contact with the colder cooler.

How can this efficiently work if the vaterchamber is upside down?

Have you ever thought about it?

I'm I missing something?

I think it would work much better if the card is set upside down.

Does maybe somebody can or want's to try turning his rig upside down, just for a test and compare the temps? (I don't have cards with this system)

I know the HD7970 have a vaporchamber in the cooler and would be very curious to see if there is a difference.

If I'm not wrong the heat dissipation should improve by 20-50%.

What do you think about it?

Second though
as we have copper tubes going through the cooler of gpu's, I think it would be interesting, maybe for a skillful modder, to adapt this tubes and to connect to it the normal watercooling circuit.

Maybe this can't be tested on a waterchamber cooler, but in a normal one, where the tubes are not connected with an extra chamber, and don't have additional elaborations in them.

The pourpous should be making water circulate through the tube tat goes through the middle of the copper surface attached to the gpu.

Does somebody wanna make an experiment with this one?

Tanks for reading me, and I like this forum, sorry for grammatical mistakes, english is not my mothertongue.

Cheers

Materials are placed in the vapor chamber to wick the water back to the hot spot, just like inheatpipes.

Materials are placed in the vapor chamber to wick the water back to the hot spot, just like inheatpipes.
So a sistem that brings the water up and the hot air down.

IMHO, it can never be efficient and fast like a sistem that brings the water down and the hot air up.

Nope, it definitely cannot.
With proper design and overbuilding it is close, but gravity+wick will always return water faster.
The heat doesn't move in the sense you're thinking though.

Back