• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gpu very hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crapxxas119

I have an old desktop running an agp radeon x1300pro and there is a chip on the other side of the gpu core chip (the type covered with a band-aid like material) and i tested the temp and it was in the 90's (C). Is this normal? Should i worry? I tested through a hole in the band-aid thing with my multimeter thermometer (pretty accurate).

Has it been running fine for how long?

So, unless your cooling situation has changed, I wouldn't worry about it. What would a replacement card with 3x the processing power cost? $30?

I really dont want to spend more on the pc because im only keeping it because the pc is somewhat functioning...
It has been freezing a lot lately and im wondering if the freezing is related to that chip. If it is i can probably plop on a heatsink because i have an extra nb heatsink.
The freezing is definitely heat related because the pc freezes quickly after boot with the case shut. All the parts of the case are dust-free. If i boot right after the freeze if the case has been closed (when it froze) the pc wouldnt post, i would get nothing on the monitor. The pc would go into a high fan mode. When i turn on the pc normally, the fans rev up for a first second, then they lower rpm.
With the case open it takes some time for the pc to freeze. I tested the heat on that chip when the pc case was open. When i tested the temp the pc ran for a few minutes after i tested it and then it froze.

yep, make sure the fans are working properly. clean out all the dust bunnies etc

its a crappy case so im running it with the case open. Its a btx mobo... I might make my own benching station to make the whole open case thing look cleaner. I might also mount it under my case...

Would the chip overheating cause a freeze?

I'm fairly certain that your problem is due to overheating. I doubt it's due to GPU heating as GPU heating BSOD doesn't usually occur right after boot. That's because there's generally not a load on the GPU until you go to do something with it. GPU heating failure will be preceded by video artifacts before it crashes.

I'm thinking you got a problem with MB and/or CPU heating. If you can get some 120 mm fans, it needs airflow. Good 120 mm fans are worth the investment as they are easily transferable to the next system.

Cpu is cool to touch, mobo is also not hot. The chip under the gpu is overheating... When booting it gets really hot, no real load...

You can touch the top of the actual CPU? Touching the HSF doesn't tell you anything. Are you getting any video artifacts before it crashes? Regardless, everything can benefit with better airflow.

The pink chip. The pink is like a thermal adhesive pad with a hole in the middle and a pink top with a band-aid like material.

Attachments

• gpu.jpg
    gpu.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 68
That is a truly strange setup.
I'm going to guess that the chip is a PCIe to AGP bridge, total guesswork though.
You could get a MOSFET heatsink and glue it on there if you wanted.

You can touch the top of the actual CPU? Touching the HSF doesn't tell you anything. Are you getting any video artifacts before it crashes? Regardless, everything can benefit with better airflow.
I have a BTX PC and its airflow is so good I can touch the top of the actual CPU :3

The pci-e version doesnt have it so i guess...
I booted again and it didnt freeze so im leaving it alone.
You should definitely have a heatsink for the bridge chip. Grab a mosfet or chipset heatsink from somewhere and use thermal tape to attach it.

Back