• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Destroyed pins on my motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BachOn

:bang head It looks like the CPU socket pins my Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 are bent. I'm certain I did it. I didn't mean to. But the evidence is clear. I've done a magnifying glass inspection and tried to straighten them using a needle. But the damage is just too severe. Short of some low-powered microscope and specialized tools, I don't think I'm going to be able to fix this thing. (You know those cartoons where you see the bag of money flying away? That's how I feel.) :shrug:

I'm pretty certain I know the answer, but I've got to ask: will Asus do repairs on motherboards at anything like a cost-effective rate? Or am I better off just buying a new board?

I hate to junk this thing. It's really a great board. But it is definitely useless now.

Bach On

Any chance you can get a pair of small forceps? The tweezer-like kind would be best as you'll need leverage and good clamping force to hold them while you slowly straighten them out but odds are with enough patience and a very steady hand you can fix the damage still.

And as far as the repair, I do not believe ASUS will do this. I have seen many threads on this problem with ASUS boards and if I recall correctly, ASUS routinely decilnes the RMA every time. Gigabyte supposedly does not however and thats partly why I go with Gigabyte.

I seem to remember a manufacturer that would let you pay $50 for any RMA (even if it was done by the user or out of warranty) and they would fix it. I don't remember who this was or even if they are around. It can't hurt to ask. :shrug:

thideras,

That's what I'm looking for. I'd pay up to $100. Is there anyone you could ask?

BO

ASUS will do socket replacement on the motherboard (for a price)... Contact them to find out how much it would cost... You can Live-Chat with a rep and they should be able to give you the info.

Untitled.jpg

If Asus rejects your request, bet a pair of small, needle-nose pliers with smooth jaws (not serrated jaws). If you can't find any at hardware stores, try electronics supplies. Bend slowly to reduce the odds of cracking.

Theres also a chance TJ (TsunamiJuan) here on the forum would be willing to fix it up for ya...

Might check with him.

He's got all the equipment to replace the socket.

:bang head It looks like the CPU socket pins my Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 are bent. I'm certain I did it. I didn't mean to. But the evidence is clear. I've done a magnifying glass inspection and tried to straighten them using a needle. But the damage is just too severe. Short of some low-powered microscope and specialized tools, I don't think I'm going to be able to fix this thing. (You know those cartoons where you see the bag of money flying away? That's how I feel.) :shrug:

I'm pretty certain I know the answer, but I've got to ask: will Asus do repairs on motherboards at anything like a cost-effective rate? Or am I better off just buying a new board?

I hate to junk this thing. It's really a great board. But it is definitely useless now.
Hey might be a bit late but i have just had the same problem with mu UD7 1366 I fixed it for £38 bought a new socket £8 and sent it with the mobo to a company that reflows/re balls PCB's cheaper than a new board :) pm me or just do a search on Google
Bach On

You sure you cant fix it? I dropped a chip into a socket corner first and it flattened a load of pins but I fixed it with a small screwdriver and magnifying glass.

You sure you cant fix it? I dropped a chip into a socket corner first and it flattened a load of pins but I fixed it with a small screwdriver and magnifying glass.
I JUST trashed a Fatality that way... no way was mine recoverable... :( (not being contradictory, just wanting to share my debacle - review sample none the less)

It took me probably 30 minutes to fix it, was a 2011 board where the stupid double hold down knocks the cpu out of your hand when you try and put it in.

Back