• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help getting over the 5.2ghz barrier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nooster

Hey guys I am having issues getting over the 5.2ghz barrier with my i5 2500k

Every time I push it to 53 multi I just get boot loops.
With 52 multi and bclk @100 I have it stable with 1.475v llc10 (pushes it to 1.54v when idle but drops to 1.48 under load)
temps under 80 under load
I have enableled pll over volt set to 1.86v

I know it's not vcore that's causing the issue but not to sure how far I can push pll safely for short benching stints.

Rig is in my sig any help is great to break this barrier

It's possible that your max multi is a 52 and no matter of voltage will go any higher. You can up your vcore to about 1.55 to try for 53, but if it won't get mid-way through the Windows loading screen (or if you only get a blinking cursor) you have maxed out your CPU multi). What are you using to define 'under load'? I'm hoping you aren't priming95ing/lynxing at that type of voltage/speed.

Important note when going for max multi is to make sure that the power saving features and turbo are all turned off otherwise it can give a false sense of multiplier as it won't kick in until it is needed (and then crash) rather than boot with it already at the highest multi you have set.

You can also set it down to 2cores as well which may help as there are several benchmarks that don't need 4c (superpi 1m, 32m, cpu-z frequency, pifast, 3dmark01)

edit: I didn't see if you specified in the BIOS that CPU-PLL Overvoltage was actually enabled or if you just changed the voltage. There is a setting that has to be enabled as well. I was able to find my max multis with just 1.775 CPUPLL

Last edited:
I always thought that if you see the windows loading screen PERIOD the multi is good. Blinking cursor is multi limit.

PLL override does NOT have a value (on/off), thats just PLL voltage you listed. That said, make sure PLL Override voltage is enabled and see if that is the culprit.

I always thought that if you see the windows loading screen PERIOD the multi is good. Blinking cursor is multi limit.

PLL override does NOT have a value (on/off), thats just PLL voltage you listed. That said, make sure PLL Override voltage is enabled and see if that is the culprit.

That is true in some cases, but I believe different motherboards load up the multi at different points. I think Asus you will get a blinking cursor I think Gigabyte likes to play with your mind some times and give you a bit of Windows before it kicks the multi in.

thanks for the reply.

to test load i was running superpi 32m and had hwinfo logging the temps for me :)

All c states were disabled (C1 etc) PLL overvoltage is enabled in bios, and i manualy upped the pll from 1.80 to 1.86 as well to see if that would help (it didnt)

what happens is basicly when i boot after saving the settings it just boot loops. doesnt even get to flashing blinker or load post.

it will then give me the "overclocking failed" message eventualy when the post does come up.

i think that maybe i do have a 53 multi max beacuse i have thrown a heap of vcore to it and has little effect.

on the up side i now have a 2600k to play with so ill see what i can do with this one :)

Back