• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot OC i7 3820 on Asus P9X79 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrGimper

Hi, I'm new to overclocking, so please bear with me!

I've got an i7 3820 on an Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard. I'm running 64GB RAM.

I've gone into the Advanced BIOS and changed the CPU multiplier from Auto to 40, just to get a quick overclock. This is the only setting I've changed.

However, the clock speed still sits @ 3.6Ghz.

Do I need to make further changes? I can't understand why this change doesn't take as I thought I should be able to do this for a quick overclock.

Cheers
G

Or turn off turbo boost and speed step in bios and you will run on max set frequency constantly, i personally have turbo boost off since its useless when cpu is oc'd past max turbo boost, and speed step on to save energy and keep temps lower

OK Thanks v much. I'll give it a go. I'm running this as an ESXi 5 server so may have to boot from a Windows Util CD and spin up the tools you mentioned.

Hello everybody.
I've got an i7 3820 on an Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard too. But I'm still searching the "Point" in my BIOS Advanced Menue to change
the CPU multiplier from Auto to "xy".
What is the name of the "Point" that I have to look for and where is it.
I can't find it in my Ai Tweaker menue

Thanks for your help...

I'm not sure what you mean by "point", but the multiplier is changed via Advanced Mode--> Ai Tweaker / CPU Performance Settings--> CPU Ratio.

I meant by "Point" the directory where I can change the CPU multiplier.

Your answer is that what I was looking for.

Thank you!!!

Back