• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing C2D E7500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Core 2 duo's can handle like 400mhz fsb and a rated FSB of 1800-2000Mhz. Any motherboard is ok if you cool it and if it has all the voltage options. The difference between expensive boards is they have the heatsinks cooling the mosfets and have higher quality power delivery plus more options in bios etc. Just buy all the coolers you need to cool your board and overclock to your hearts extent. So first thing is get an unreal cooler because they run hot. 2nd thing is set your ram multiplier so your ram never exceeds it's 800mhz speed. Set timings to auto. Look up your ram's specs and set the exact voltage they are meant to run at. You may wanna get a 1066 kit since it'll help a lot. The CPU voltage can go up to 1.5V+ for at least 3.4Ghz. 3.3Ghz is weak. I ran a E6420 from 2.1Ghz to 3.4Ghz no problem and 3.6Ghz with 1066 ram. Get active fans cooling the mosfets beside the socket or get an aftermarket copper heatsink for the mosfets and cool them actively with a fan. Then get an active cooler for the northbridge since it gets hot. Replace the passively cooled heatsink with a heastink with a fan I saw one for $20 on ebay with a huge tower 50mm fan for the northbridge. The northbridge is the key to your overclock on the core 2 duo 775 chips. So you have to push the northbridge to get a good overclock. Set your northbridge voltage up a lot but make sure your cooling the northbridge or you'll run into stability issues. I would also actively cool the southbridge as well.

If you don't have a ton of bios options pick up a standard ATX ASUS series of some kind I haven't dialed in to the 775 chips in forever. Your honestly better off picking up a Phenom 2 X6 core and a free MSI board at Microcenter for $99 and a 4GB kit of DDR3-1333 for $20 and push to at least 3.6Ghz and 4Ghz if your running at least an 850W power supply. The phenom 2 X6 will decimate that core 2 duo and run with the big dogs like core i series chips.

LATER

Last edited:
for the cpu, the oc is on the low side. the problem will be the motherboard for sure, with out even needing to look in the manual. im pretty sure your dont have many options to work with. G31 does support up to a native 333fsb, im sure the cpu can do that for sure. if you want to get that far your need to manually set the dram speed to a 1:1 ratio which would be the lower dram speed you can choose. without knowing the other options the board offers should you try for 333mhz fsb you may oc the ram to far and the computer wont boot. if you stick with a 1:1 ratio that would put the dram speed inline with the fsb, giving you a ram speed of DDR2-667.

without knowing the cooler your have or the type/model ram you have it is hard to say. just how much farther it would go if you had more options in the bios for fsb/voltage controls. my safe bet is the 1:1 with fsb at 333mhz for the cpu/ram, would be a nice boost cpu wise to help the system seem "new". while it wont blow the doors down, if all your doing is sending im's and facebooking, you dont need a six core cpu. while it is a good deal at MC for the cpu/mobo, do you really need it?

Im running at 300fsb by now, i will test the 333 if its ok in my stock cpu cooler.

Back