• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low windows experience/benchmarsk SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

latProd

Registered
*** Edit: sorry for the ridiculous typo in the subject

Hi guys, I've got a corsair force 3 and an OCZ vertex 3 SSD (120 and 60 GB respectively) and they both score horribly. I made sure they are in AHCI mode in the bios, but for some reason the only disk that shows up under the "sata" config page in the bios is my WD caviar green. There is a list of sata3G ports and they all show "empty" except for that disk. I'm not sure what all this means as i am new to the whole SSD thing. They've both got the latest firmware.
I've got an asus p8z68-v-pro MB and the i5 3570k CPU. I recently had to upgrade my bios to enable support for this chip, and my windows experience index went down from 7 something to 5,9 for my SSD. My AS SSD benchmark is 300, which is pretty crap.(benchmark attached).
Can anyone please help me figure out what is causing this extremely poor performance?

Attachments

• AS SSD BENCH.PNG
    AS SSD BENCH.PNG
    37.5 KB · Views: 132
you 100% you have it plugged into one of the 2 sata 3 sockets that are available? Also could you Use atto benchmark if possible and post results.

Hey, thanks for the super fast reply.
Should be connected properly but i will definately double check that later just in case, but that's a longshot.

Here's the atto:

Attachments

• atto bench.PNG
    atto bench.PNG
    18.9 KB · Views: 116
1. I wouldnt worry, AT ALL, about the WEI. :)
2. Those scores are a bit low. Is this a fresh SSD?

Yer with the corsair force three you should be getting faster read write than that. I have the same SSD and i get 500+ read and write. I have the a Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 so pretty much the same board. Im gguessing it could also be something to do with the BIOS.

its rather weird cos if it was plugged into a SATAII port it would be topping at around 250mb/s but you can see that you read is 350mb/s. Its really odd.

LOL, thats not brand new! :p

So there is data on it is what Im asking...

Have you tried leaving the PC logged off or in the bios overnight to force an idle state/trim garbage collection to work?

hehe so not BRAND new, i was just sayin, its a pretty new drive :p
I haven't tried what you suggested. So I just leave it switched on in the BIOS?

That or log off. I doubt it will help, but its worth a try in case TRIM/GC isnt working.

What does the Vertex3 ATTO say?

Since you are easily peaking above 280MB they should be in S3 ports so I doubt that is it... you show AHCI enabled in the AS SSD screenshot, so thats not it...(but reconfirm anyway)

Just for giggles, try this and report back:
Open Command Prompt with Administrative privileges (Run as administrator) and enter the follow command.
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.

Meh

So i tried the bios overnight thing, but no change.
Any ideas of what to do?

I'm guessing you have your SSDs plugged into the 3rd party (Marvell or JMicron?) SataIII controller (the dark blue ones). Yo want to be plugged into the Intel SataIII ports (the white ones).

Your SSD should then show up in the Sata config screen you mentioned earlier.

And I would disable that 3rd party Sata controller in the BIOS unless you really need it. It will speed up your boot times.

Oh golly miss molly!

Hey man, that's awesome! What a difference! Went straight to 5100000 on write and 550000 on read on the atto benchmark. It showed up in the bios as being connected to the "sata6g" ports, but whatever, that sure helped the performance. I'm not a wiz with this stuff so all of your help has been invaluable!
Thank you ever so much!

I could even feel the difference just opening a web page for christ sakes. Kudos!

The ridiculous thing is WEI is still at 5.9! :screwy:

What's the point when it's inaccurate and totally useless!

Thanks guys!

Running the WEI actually helps setup your PC for an SSD by disabling some things that shouldnt be running on it... so in that respect, there is a point. :p

Back