• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Water Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lopus

Registered
Well, I'm building a new system and have decided to go water cooling. I'm not sure how much I'm going to try and overclock my processor but I guess it depends on how much I can keep it cool.

My problem is this, with my setup, I'm thinking things are going to be pretty hot. Here it is:

Athlon XP 2000+
(1) 40GB Barracuda 7200RPM
(4) 18.4GB Cheetah X15 36LP 15000RPM (RAID 0)
Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4600 Video Card 128MB DDR

I have not decided on the motherboard yet. My question is with that kind of setup, should I worry about my 4 Cheetah's overheating?

You can probably purchase HDD Coolers from Koolance seperately and get a good pump with your kit to go through alot of cooling, also a good rad is needed.

Well actually I was really thinking about getting one of the pre-made cases they offer. Only because I am so new to water cooling, and there is no way I want to do anything wrong and flush money down the sink.

I figure I could get the case, see how it works, then on the side mod one better. However it seems the more I look at the case, is it really going to be enough with 2 HD blocks, video card block,. etc?

Case is here:

http://www.koolance.com/products/pc2-601/

Would that pump be sufficient? Or should I look into getting a stronger one? Sorry if these are redundant questions, and thanks for the help.

If you are going water cooling, you are going to thank
yourself later if you go for a FULL tower or Server case.
You got a lot of stuff planned that generates a lot
of heat.

Do not try to cut corners.

I just got my Koolance PC2-601, and while it is a great system, I wish I would have waited to do more research. The Koolance uses 1/4" tubing which is smaller than any other watercooling setup on the market. Most waterblocks out there use either 3/8"or 1/2". This means that once you go Koolance, you pretty much have to stick with Koolance coolers for your chipset, HD, graphics, etc...

The next drawback is that the pumps used only put out about 15 gph. You can get a pump from Leufken Tech that puts out 400 gph and only costs you $35. Granted you won't actually get that much flow through your radiator and waterblock, but that's what the pump is rated for. You can bet on getting at least 10x as much flow as the Koolance pumps.

Third, and last, you cannot use a peltier with the current koolance waterblock. It is only rated for 100W of heat removal, and your Athlon XP alone will crank out over 70W of heat before you o/c it.
Koolance will have a new waterblock in March rated for 200W. I would at least wait for that.

Now that I'm done trashing Koolance, let me list the Pros. WITH KOOLANCE YOU GET A WARRANTY! It is also very easy to set up. You get 2 pumps which provide you with some protection should one pump fail. The other pump will prevent you from frying everything while your system has a chance to shutdown. The Koolance is also very professional looking without any mods. A lot of other watercooled rigs turn out looking like Frankenstein's monster.

Great choice by moving into watercooling. I'm building my first watercooling setup now. Just realize that Koolance is the low end of the watercooling spectrum. It still blows away air cooling any day!

My System---(not built yet..waiting for parts)
Koolance PC2-601
2 Delta 80mm 80cfm fans in rear
2 Delta 92mm 100cfm fans on left side blowholes
Abit TH7II-RAID mobo with 1.6A P4(hoping for 2.4o/c'ed)
waiting on new 200W waterblock from koolance
I'll use the 100W CPU cooler for the northbridge w/ Peltier
512 MB Samsung RDRAM 800
Macpower Digital Doc 5
RD2 PC Geiger PCI Monitor
RD1 BIOS Savior(he he.. switchable BIOS's are COOL!!)
30 GB hard drive.

Back