• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More 2600K OC fun

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
More bored OC fun. I have my 2600K as reported in my signature below. Decided to clock the snot of it on air cooling. I have single 140mm fans on intake and exhaust, on low noise adapters. the DRP4 is running flat out at 1500rpm. The machine has only ever really been properly OC'ed on water cooling, so here's what I got on air:

Code:
4600 stable at 1.4V, LL6, 125W. 83C P95. Memory at Cas9 @ 1600MHz, 1T. Maybe tighten Tras?
4700 failed at 1.4V, LL7. Immediate rebooted on P95
4700 testing at 1.425V, LL7. 135W. 90-93C P95. 1.44V Vcore reported. 43C motherboard, Rebooted

Looks like I'm at the thermal limits at 4700MHz on air. On H2O I never managed to get 4600 very stable, but with apps like HWinfo64 telling me so much useful info compared to when I initially built the rig, it's easier to see what's all going on.

Tempted to throw a custom loop back in to see if I could tame 4700 and work my way to 5000, but it doesn't change a lot for real world usability since architectures have progressed so far. I'd just be throwing more watts at it.

Pretty sweet man! Because I am air cooled I do most of my top end clocking in the winter, but now that we have A/C when it is on I have been squeezing this thing a little.

Enjoy!

135w is pretty intense! I had a hard time getting my 3770K to the mid 80s :D

4.6GHz feels like a nice sweet spot. This thing purred at 4.2GHz on stock volts and wouldn't go above 70C, and mostly sub-90W. I threw 1.4V at it just to see how far it would go. I bet I could lower it some if I can reign in the temps on water.

Kind of surprised at the temps with this monster of a heatsink. It is summer and the case airflow is not very strong, but it is pretty well ventilated.

I found that with mine too. After 4600 she got pretty thirsty which in turn would lead her to becoming very hot headed.

That's a sweet little build I hope she rips for years :thup:

Boy, I swear back in the day these were 5 ghz on good air+ chips. The more I see people post about these today, the more I see this 4.6 to 4.7ghz stuff. I remember binning these for highest multiplier for extreme overclocking back in the day. :)

Yeah, I don't know about those 5GHz chips, unless they were cherry picked or golden samples. Reviewers (including the one that did the OC.com one here) seemed to get higher clocks than normies like me.

I binned probably a dozen of these, most of which were retail, and all made 5 ghz... the good ones... on air with hyper212+...

You're gonna make me work harder for a better air OC. Going to add a second 140mm intake and run them at full speed.

I noticed with Conroe the first big batch of a new product line the chips are awesome.. after a year or so of production the silicon quality seems to dip. I Have the Z77 OC Formula used in the Overclockers.com review.. it came with a dead 3770K :D I had to beat my 3770K to do over 4600. Mine came from my brother who never overclocked a thing in his life..

1.53v for 4900MHz but does 4400 with stock volts..

Conroe's were awesome. My Celeron 420 would do 3.2GHz on stock volts and stock cooler just by doubling the FSB. No brainer 100% OC. Ridiculous chip.

No appreciable change in CPU temps with case fans at 1000rpm, and adding one to intake. GPU idle dropped 5C with the fans off, which keeps it from turning the fans on. MB temps also unchanged.

Guess it's H2O or bust to wring more out of it. Hardly worth the effort.

Back