• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build, for my dad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chayos00

Hey guys I need some help for building my dad a replacement PC. His old PC died, a number of caps on his MB were leaking out and it finally died. I found that back in January and just this week it now dead. So I was looking to build my dad a replacement PC and was hoping you guys could help me trim down to his budget of $1200.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
This will be a general everyday web surfing, email reading replacement PC for my dad. Want to also watch and probably record some TV. Games will NOT be played. I hope to make this PC last for at least 5 years (as that is my dad's average PC lifespan)
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1200, price is just for parts only.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA, I live in Tucson, AZ, but once I build this I will ship it to my dad in San Diego, CA.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, PSU, RAM, CPU, motherboard, power supply, video card (if needed), HD, memory card reader, TV Tuner, two monitors, extra case fans, heatsink if needed, DVD burner, think that's it. If I'm forgetting something please input that.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model. N/A
6) Will you be overclocking?
Most likely not, if I do it will just be the most I can get out of the lowest voltage possible.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Looking for new monitors, I was eying 1920x1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Building
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, probably an full size ATX for a possible CPU heatsink, 4 slots for RAM (would prefer to run 16GB)
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Here is what I have put together so far, I am a tad over budget, but not really sure where to decrease to maximize what I can get for my dad's replacement PC. I also would prefer to buy everything from Newegg.com, unless there are smoking deals from another big name company that has good customer service.

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 $49.99 (MIR $10) I'd prefer to keep this case, unless you know of a much better one.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core $209.99
MB: ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX $124.99 (MIR$15)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $97.99
Video Card: EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1463-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 $169.99 (MIR$10) I'm sure I could go cheaper, but I'd like to stick to a mainstream brand name that I can trust.
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W $69.99 (MIR$20) I love corsair psu's, it's what I used in my PC.
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s $119.99 I also would rather stick to a WD brand drive.
DVD Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner $17.99
Card Reader: Koutech IO-RCM630 Multi-in-1 USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Front Panel Internal Card Reader $30.99
Monitors: QTY- 2: Asus ML228H 21.5" Full HD LED BackLight LED Monitor Slim Design $159.99 each ($319.98 both) (MIR$10)
TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner w/ IR Remote $109.99
Extra Case Fans: COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan 4 in 1 pack $13.99

Total: $1335.87

You can really cut costs if you just stick with the integrated graphics on the processor instead of having to get a GPU that can currently play almost all games maxed out..

Other idea's could be getting an AMD processor. Get him a AMD X4 965 quad core for half that price of the intel. It will keep him set for a while. No point in getting a processor you won't utilize, when you can do the same thing for half the price :p

You can really cut costs if you just stick with the integrated graphics on the processor instead of having to get a GPU that can currently play almost all games maxed out..

Other idea's could be getting an AMD processor. Get him a AMD X4 965 quad core for half that price of the intel. It will keep him set for a while. No point in getting a processor you won't utilize, when you can do the same thing for half the price :p

As far as the video card, wouldn't I need a dedicated graphics card to do a dual monitor setup @ 1920x1080?

I'll look into going AMD and see what that's gets me down to.

As far as the video card, wouldn't I need a dedicated graphics card to do a dual monitor setup @ 1920x1080?

I'll look into going AMD and see what that's gets me down to.

No...if you want a dual monitor setup you are gonna have to do a dedicated graphics card.

How will the monitors be plugged with? A HDMI cable, DVI, VGA?

No...if you want a dual monitor setup you are gonna have to do a dedicated graphics card.

How will the monitors be plugged with? A HDMI cable, DVI, VGA?

Didn't think about which connection, most likely DVI, unless HDMI would be better? But as long as I can do either I'd be happy.

Uh...16GB of RAM and a GTX560 on an office machine? With a quad core IB? That's pretty ridiculously overpowered for an office machine...

You can undercut $1200 by a fair margin.

Btw, I just used an Elite 430 last week, it's a pretty good case but only comes with 1 fan. There are better options for the price.

After all the MIRs, this comes out to $900.

Capture.JPG
1.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their suggestions, I have finally decided upon a final build. I kept wondering how exactly I was going to get the PC to him after I built it. So what I finally decided to do was to get him a Dell XPS 8500, then order him a 27" monitor (couldn't really fit a dual monitor setup on his desk after I have him dimensions), as well as get him a TV tuner.

Dell XPS 8500 (No options on their $749 model, he wanted the $1099 model, but i explained to him this was plenty for him)
I5-3450 @ 3.1Ghz
Win 7 Home Premium
8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
1TB Sata 6Gb/s HD
AMD Radeon HD 7570 1GB GDDR5
DVD Burner
(I find this interesting, no choice to choose it or not) Wireless:Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE
460W PSU

Tuner Card: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner I have my dad calling his local cable company to ensure it's formats are compatible. He has an old ATI tv tuner that still works, so I'm guessing he should be good.

Monitor: Asus VK278Q Black 27" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Webcam & Speakers (He choose this one)

So grand total, not including shipping.

$749 - PC
$429.98 - Monitor & TV tuner
Totals: $1,178.98

Back